PDA

View Full Version : 10 gallon freshwater shrimp

Michael Milligan
06-30-2010, 11:12 PM
Hi all!

This 10 gallon has been running for all of 15 mins!

The filter was just finished. I made it from a iced tea bottle. It is stuffed with old filter media from another tank and most of the water is from another tank as well. Add some plants potted in gravel and PRESTO! a shrimp tank.

At the moment I really intend to grow crystal red shrimp. Any wisdom?

Can all shrimp go with all shrimp? What other tank mates if any might work out. I want breeding, and for the life of me, I can't think of anything what won't eat baby shrimp.

Later!

rich311k
06-30-2010, 11:21 PM
If you want to breed them then just have shrimo you will much more sucessful that way.

Tango
07-01-2010, 12:41 AM
I don't think all shrimp species can go together, as a few may eat the others. You'd have to do research on the species first.

If you plan on breeding the shrimp, it is probably best for the tank to stay a shrimp tank, as like you said most everything loves to eat baby shrimp (I cannot think of anything that doesn't either =P).

Good luck!

Sasquatch
07-01-2010, 02:19 AM
If you want to try breeding shrimp, it's pretty much shrimp only. We've had danios wipe out a cherry shrimp colony at the LFS I work at and our lone kuhli is picking off adult cherries ...

SkipW
07-01-2010, 03:36 AM
I've just started with shrimp about a month ago and from what I've read you should have a well established tank so the shrimp have algae and other debris to eat. That's not to say you can't keep them in a fresh tank. If your "filter" media is already cycled, then you should be able to put them right in. They do not tolerate elevated levels of ammonia, so make sure your filter is cycled.
Also, I would start out with Red Cherry Shrimp or Snowball Shrimp before you try Crystal Reds. Less expensive than Crystal Reds and a little easier to breed. (from what I've read) Also if you're buying them online, you want to get juvenile shrimp as they will have a better survival rate compared to the adult shrimp.
I would also get some java moss or something similar. Something slow growing that does not require fertilizers. Any major shifts to your water parameters can wipe out your entire shrimp population.
And for fish to add, all fish will go after the baby shrimp. And most aggressive type fish will go after the adults as well. So if you main goal is to breed them, I would go shrimp only.

Michael Milligan
07-01-2010, 04:15 AM
As luck would have it I just got back from the LFS with a few cherry shrimp. The will have to survive on fish flakes for a while. I moved a pair of orange shrimp from another tank too. I think it's a male and a female.

Let's see how it goes.

Z Fish Man
07-01-2010, 05:24 AM
I'd suggest starting with cherry shrimp I think they are the easiest to breed and maintain. You might also want to pick up some java as it's easy to take care of and shrimp love it. I was lucky got shipped to me for free by a fellow forum member who had some overgrowth. Also might wanna put some more gravel in there.

Michael Milligan
07-02-2010, 09:00 PM
I added more gravel. It's a shame that the gravel is red, but that is what I had, it matters more to me than to the shrimp. I can change it later.

Hours after adding the gravel the water was still foggy! So I swapped out my DIY for a $6 corner filter. Back to the drawing board (blush)

Current population:

4 Red Cherry Shrimp
2 Orange Sunkist Shrimp

Michael Milligan
07-07-2010, 08:07 PM
Here are some photos from today.

Light green gravel taken from my 20Gal community. MUCH better. But now I can see them, I've have discovered a new problem.... ALL MY CHERRY SHRIMP ARE MALE! Back to the store...

And there is is a pic of a couple happy inhabitants.

SkipW
07-07-2010, 09:25 PM
Much better than the red gravel. thumbs2:

Sasquatch
07-08-2010, 01:30 AM
ALL MY CHERRY SHRIMP ARE MALE!

Come on over to our place ... 16 cherry shrimp and they're all female!

Looks much better and good luck finding some ladies.

admael
07-08-2010, 02:38 AM
Much better with the new substrate. They look so lonely without moss lol.

Michael Milligan
07-08-2010, 03:29 AM
Come on over to our place ... 16 cherry shrimp and they're all female!

Looks much better and good luck finding some ladies.

Then if I send you one, in six months you can send me 100! lol... more like a thousand :)

Sasquatch
07-08-2010, 11:51 AM
Great! Someone else who wants be to ship stuff to BC!

When you do go to the pet store, look for mature females. They'll have what's called a "saddle" just behind their abdomen. It's the ovary and it means that they're ready to breed. As soon as they molt, the males should go nuts swimming around the tank looking for her, wanting to breed. You can see it on the following image.

http://www.theshrimpfarm.com/wp-content/uploads/wppa/thumbs/37.jpg

Good luck.

Michael Milligan
07-08-2010, 08:13 PM
Thankyou Sasquatch.

The LPS is getting a "shrimpment" of new livestock this afternoon. Cherry Shrimp, Orange Sunkist Shrimp expected. Also Amano Plant Shrimp and the Crystal Red Shrimp I've been waiting for. $$$ I'm sure.

Michael Milligan
07-10-2010, 10:42 AM
I went to a different LPS on impulse. I added a 1/2 dozen "blue shrimp" to the tank. The look like Bee Shrimp to me.

On of the Orange shrimp died and has bee, eaten.

None of my LPSs sell Java Moss. Argg..