PDA

View Full Version : Tim's pond rebuild

timfee
06-28-2010, 05:54 PM
There is a pond in my garden. Unfortunately it has never had water in while I have existed - and has been used as a compost heap for the last 20 or so years. I'm (hopefully) going to Uni in October but decided to rebuild the pond during the long break between now and then.

As it was up until a short while ago (complete with last year's xmas tree):

I've emptied out all of the compost so here's what it looks like atm:

I'm thinking it isn't going to be very waterproof at present.:hmm3grin2orange:

I think it's about 800 uk gallons - or 1000 us gallons.
It's about 3.5m (11 1/2 foot) long and 0.7m (2 1/2 foot) deep at the deeper end.

little hawaii
06-28-2010, 07:28 PM
Perfect time to make it BIGGER and add a liner if it was mine. You lucky person you, I have never had a pond for some reason.

timfee
06-28-2010, 09:07 PM
I would like to make it deeper, but there's that concrete base preventing me from digging.
I can't really remove the broken old liner either as it goes under the concrete. :banghead:

I'm thinking of just making the side walls waterproof using more concrete as it would be impossible to get a new liner in underneath that base and it would be a waste to put it on top. Either that or I try and break up the base and remove it, but then I'd lose that nice shape.

Crispy
06-28-2010, 09:29 PM
you could always dig the pond longer and then deeper where there is no concrete? Looks like you'll be putting a new liner in anyways?

Nice job so far!

HeatherB
06-29-2010, 01:49 AM
I suggest renting a backhoe. It would be fun to play with for the afternoon- and will solve your concrete problem. Think of it as a big Tonka truck and a nice big sandbox!!

smaug
06-29-2010, 02:37 AM
Thats a good size pond the way it is.Trust me a concrete pond is a bad way to go.They have a tendency to crack.Just get a good 45 mil epdm liner and go right over top of what ya got.Remove any jagged concrete before you do and spend the xtra on the underlayment that is sold for this purpose,you cant even jam a nail through that stuff.Have fun!

timfee
06-29-2010, 07:10 PM
@HeatherB: I'm not sure my parents would approve of me driving heavy machinery all over the lawn.:hmm3grin2orange:

@crispy: There's also concrete all around the top so I can't make it any longer or wider.

I'm tempted to do as smaug says, but it would be nice to make it a bit deeper to help fish survive during the winter, perhaps it'll be possible to somehow lever the concrete slab out.

SkipW
06-29-2010, 09:00 PM
Build up on top of the concrete with dirt or sand to make it a little deeper and wider, then Put in your liner and lay large stones around the perimeter. You could even build up the back wall or one side to add a water fall. Add some nice plants in and around, should be a really nice project.

smaug
06-30-2010, 12:14 AM
2.5 ft is plenty deep enough for winter survival .My first small pond was only 18" deep and I kept fish in it for 3 winters,northeast Pa winters.Simplify your life and just put the underlay and liner down,2.5 ft is plenty good.
Skip:Keep in mind that water level above ground normally freezes very quicky and does not normally add to cold weather safety in ornamental ponds.In the case its not an issue,,,,,just sayin.