PDA

View Full Version : Goldfish?

~Erik3.8.07~
06-04-2007, 10:35 AM
What conditions are needed for goldfish to breed? and how can you even clearly tell the sex. i researched a little bit and a site told me that one of the "hips" will be bigger than the other if its a female. Is this true?

Drumachine09
06-04-2007, 02:43 PM
You will need a HUGE tank. 100-150. And since that is such a big tank, your best filtration would be sump/wetdry filtration.

troy
06-08-2007, 01:38 AM
If you have a pond, put them in their and they should spawn in the spring. An aquarium larger than 20 gallons should work too.

bscman
06-08-2007, 04:39 AM
If you have a pond, put them in their and they should spawn in the spring. An aquarium larger than 20 gallons should work too.

Ya
1. if your fish can swim around in a tank that small
2. and only for a months max, then its time for an upgrade!!!

The best way to get your goldfish to breed is to keep the water VERY clean, and give them an abundance of varying foods.
Over a period of a few weeks, slowly raise the temp to around 68* -- this simulates spring time, and will bring on "those loving feelings" :1luvu:

The males will have little white bumps on the sides of their gill plates by this time. I have a hard time sexing goldies...even people I know who can do it, can't explain how.

Anyhoo, the best thing to do is take a short piece of rope and make a "mop"...tie one end in a knot and fray the heck out of the other. Put that in your breeding tank. The female will choose to lay her eggs here.

One they do their thing, remove the adults from the tank. You could remove the mop--just make sure it stays under water!!!
There will be hundreds to THOUSANDS of fry shortly...but remember, goldfish require 20+ gallons PER FISH as adults...so you better have room!

Comets and "feeders" can reach over a foot long...so plan on a HUGE tank or pond.....

Incredulous_Ed
06-08-2007, 07:25 PM
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/breeding/goldfish.php

good info.