PDA

View Full Version : Pothos

FishyPastor
06-28-2010, 02:45 AM
I am not sure what thread to put this on. I read a article where they suggested to Place pothos plants on the tank so the roots can grow through the water column. I know with pothos a cat cannot eat it without getting sick, so I was wondering if a fish eats it will it kill the fish?

HeatherB
06-28-2010, 02:50 AM
I wouldn't think the fish would get sick. Those are usually the plants stupid people use for those 'betta vases'. I would maybe, uh....like quarintine the plant for a while in a vase with water, to make sure there is no weird stuff in/on it. Also would give it a gooood rinse to make sure there is no pesticides or anything that has been sprayed on it. Even fertilizer. Maybe try to root a clipping of it would be better.

SunSchein89
06-28-2010, 03:37 AM
I've seen it being used in dart frog tanks a lot too, so I'd imagine it's pretty safe.

toddnbecka
06-28-2010, 05:56 AM
It is sometimes grown from cuttings in hob filters, it's a very effective way of reducing nitrates between partial water changes. My only concern would be cleaning the sponge blocks in my aquaclears w/out disturbing the roots too much. I've never heard of it, or any other plant killing fish that ate some though.

FishyPastor
06-28-2010, 06:04 AM
Thanks for the answers.

tanks4thememories
06-28-2010, 06:14 AM
The main plant I know will make pets and people sick is Dieffenbachia.I didnt know about pothos I think the source of the information you herd is Philodendron sp. Heart leaf philodendron, Philodendron - They look alot like pothos.

http://www.blankees.com/house/plants/poisonous.htm (http://www.blankees.com/house/plants/poisonous.htm)
Popular house plants that can be hazardous:
Aloe barbadensis Aloe Vera, Burn plant
Amaryllis sp. Amaryllis
Anthurium andraeanum Flamingo lily
Caladium hortulanum Angels' wings
Chrysanthemum indicum Chrysanthemums, Mums
Clivia miniata Kaffir Lily
Codiaeum variegatum Croton
Cyclamen persicum Cyclamen
Datura innoxia Angel's Trumpet
Dieffenbachia sp. Dumb cane
Euphorbia milii Crown-of-thorns
Euphorbia pulcherrima Poinsettia (yes, it belongs here)
Hedera helix English Ivy
Hydrangea macrophylla Hydrangea
Kalanchoe daigremontiana Devil's Backbone
Monstera deliciosa Ceriman, Swiss-cheese plant
Philodendron sp. Heart leaf philodendron, Philodendron
Rhododendron sp. Azalea
Solanum pseudocapsicum Jerusalem Cherry

For most cases of house plant poisoning its only us highly "Intelligent" humans and our domesticated pets that are crazy enough to ingest them. Most feral herbivores and aquatic omnivores instinctively know what to avoid anyway and simply wont eat naturally occurring poisonous plants.