PDA

View Full Version : Stocking a 75g

jcarr71
06-27-2010, 11:32 PM
I just can't decide how to fill this thing. I know I want to enter the world of bigger fish, but I don't only want one fish. Am I just dreaming here or are there decent sized fish (the bigger the better) that can live in harmony in a 75g or is it too small? I'm particularly interested in SA Cichlids, but not Angels (already have some in another tank) or Discuss (too much work).

I'd consider anything, but again my preference is New World Cichlids.

For filtration I have a Rena XP3 and a million cheap but working HOB filters of random sizes I can toss on if need be.

Lab_Rat
06-27-2010, 11:41 PM
What do you consider "bigger"? Also, what is your experience level with cichlids?

little hawaii
06-27-2010, 11:43 PM
A group of 5-7 Apistogrammas or microgeophagus would love that tank. Also my 1st. pick would be Tropheus. not SA though.

jcarr71
06-28-2010, 12:01 AM
What do you consider "bigger"? Also, what is your experience level with cichlids?

In my head "bigger" is seven or eight inches at least. The girlfriend would like even larger than that.

I've kept the following cichlid species in various tanks:
• German Blue Rams (though I had a bout with green water that they died in only about three months after I had them)
• Apistogramma agassizzis
• Apistogramma nijsseni
• Angels
• Convicts

I feel like I am forgetting something. I've never kept Africans and I'm nervous to go down that route. All of the others except the Convicts are small, mostly community friendly fish.

Lab_Rat
06-28-2010, 12:35 AM
Even the mellow larger cichlids need more room than a 75g to live peacefully in a group due to territory issues. I grew out 6 nicaraguenses in my 75g, with the hopes of forming a pair. As the pair was forming I had to trade in the other 4 nics since the dominant male started claiming the entire 75g as his own. The fish were all 6-9" at that point. You'd be better off keeping a couple lone specimens of different species than trying to have a peaceful large cichlid group in a 75g.

Currently, I'm running my 75g as a mellow American cichlid tank. It may not work forever and I'm prepared to make adjustments as needed. So far it's working well, but half of the cichlids are still babies.

Cichlids in the tank:
2 nicaraguense 6" female, 9" male
1 EBJD 3"
1 yellow acara 2.5"
1 green severum 1"
1 salvini 1.5"

The acara, severum, and salvini are all new additions I got when I traded in the 4 other nics. The sal may end up being too aggressive for the set up. You will want to avoid aggressive cichlids for the sort of tank you want. Geos may be another good option.

You also have to consider bioload of large fish. I run both an xp3 and an xp4, along with two sponge filters. Also, the tank is loaded with (now shredded but still living) plants. I do weekly 60% water changes on the tank as well as add chemipure to the filter media.

Africans aren't really difficult to keep, you just have to be willing to manage the attitudes and make adjustments. Their management is a bit different than american cichlids in the sense that overstocking really helps disperse aggression.

rich311k
06-28-2010, 02:37 AM
I think apair of severums would be nice. Larger SA are not my area of expertise.

mac
06-28-2010, 07:20 AM
A lot of web sites and people say that African Rift lake Cichlids are very hard to keep. But they are not at all.

IME setting up a tang tank is the easiest of them all. In comparison to my SA Cichlids they are way more easy.

The only thing you need to do is take care not to rush and jump into anything that you like.
Same as keeping a Angle never rush it with tank mates.
Plan!

But since you say 7in that IME for Rift would be a bit to much to get into.
So SA Cichlids I would suggest Severums. Mine never give problems but they hate planted tank and move things around to how they like it.

Just note mine is 10in long and 1-2 pound [guessing never took him out to check.

mac