PDA

View Full Version : help!!!!!!!!!!!!

paul-simonbatchelor
06-26-2010, 05:22 PM
hi i am new to the site aswell as taking care of tropical fish

Today i brought a betta and he looked great in the tank he was in after bringing him home i made the mistake of introducing him directly into my smalll 24lt tank. After a couple of hours he has stopped swimming around and just floats around the filter or heater im worried as i dont want him to die

I also brught 3 small platies to keep him comany and some live plants to add to the tank. they seem to be doing the same thing but hang around the bottom of the tank

any suggestions on what is wrong?

plz :help:

smaug
06-26-2010, 05:28 PM
You dont want to hear this.Ya gotta take them all back.Your tank isnt cycled.Download this http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html it is from our site here and has all the info your gonna need.Your small 6 gal is just big enough for the fish you bought but barely.Read up and please try to take them back to the store.

Kazenouta
06-26-2010, 05:31 PM
Mistakes: Not acclimating, not cycling your tank, overstocking the tank.

Biggest mistake: not researching before hand

paul-simonbatchelor
06-26-2010, 05:31 PM
many thanks will do my best to get them back and thanks for the help:sconfused:

smaug
06-26-2010, 05:37 PM
Mistakes: Not acclimating, not cycling your tank, overstocking the tank.

Biggest mistake: not researching before hand
Thats a common mistake.Many of us made that same one when we first started.The only thing that can be done now is to make it right.OP:youll do better the 2nd time around.Just keep coming here and we will help you.First read the ebook.

paul-simonbatchelor
06-26-2010, 05:45 PM
thanks again one more question what would cause the water to go cloudy or is that just normal

smaug
06-26-2010, 06:13 PM
thanks again one more question what would cause the water to go cloudy or is that just normal
Its a bacterial bloom coming from the overload of fish waste in the tank .Until you can get those fish back to the store you need to do a minimum of 50% water change everyday.Next question for you.Did you buy water conditioner?

paul-simonbatchelor
06-26-2010, 06:18 PM
Its a bacterial bloom coming from the overload of fish waste in the tank .Until you can get those fish back to the store you need to do a minimum of 50% water change everyday.Next question for you.Did you buy water conditioner?
yes i have got some aquasafe which i used when i filled the tank a week ago and when i do a water change

Kazenouta
06-26-2010, 08:00 PM
Yes, as smaug pointed out many of us, if not all, have made the very same mistake. Now you're on the right track and will be a better hobbyist for it! Best of luck :22:

Bristley
06-28-2010, 11:48 AM
Welcome to the AC, glad to have you aboard. Also, I wanted to say Kudos to you for doing the right thing when given good advice. Even though it's hard to hear that you've made a mistake, it takes a wise person to listen to the advice of others who've got the experience, and then an even wiser one to correct their mistake. I applaud you for proving that you are indeed a very wise person, and hope you have good luck in the future. Like the others said, please read up on the information you've been directed to and if you have any questions I am sure we will all be more than happy to help, as you've already proven you're willing to listen.

paul-simonbatchelor
06-29-2010, 07:45 PM
just wanted to say thanks for all the help my betta is doing great now :19:

just wanted to find out what is the best food for my betta?

tori.lock
06-29-2010, 07:56 PM
I hear that Hikari Gold pellets are a good one, but none of my bettas have ever taken pellet food. I feed mine Omega One betta flake. I read the ingredients and the first three are actual fish and seafoods. It took a while to get my newest guy to take flake, but now he loves it. Blood worms are a good treat for them as well, and if you can, try and add some blanched, peeled peas to their diet.

chrisfraser05
06-29-2010, 08:21 PM
Alright fella. Glad to hear your little friend is doing well :)

My betta hardly ate a thing at first and I got a little worried, he was getting lethargic and lost alot of colour :(

I managed to get him to eat blood worm but then I found these;
http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/jbl-novobetta-100ml-p-3294.html

Edgar loved them and he's now got a healthy little apitite. He gets these 5 days a week and gets bloodworm the day before his fasting day.

His colour came back and he is so full of life its unreal thumbs2:

Good luck and welcome to the hobby!

FishGirl-Seattle
06-30-2010, 04:30 AM
Paul, welcome to the fold! thumbs2: Many years ago I did EXACTLY the same thing!! Please don't be discouraged - a wonderful hobby awaits you! And you will have the "Guess what I did the first time" story to tell like most of the rest of us! Not much consolation now, but in a few years it will make you feel all warm and fuzzy when you have the opportunity to help a newcomer through this very same thing. Think of this as a bonding event with your new fish keeping friends!