PDA

View Full Version : Some queries!!

abrar90
06-26-2010, 12:51 AM
I was just thinking of the following.

1.) Is it ok to keep money plant in betta tank??
2.)Which all insects do betta eat?? (even cockroaches and big ants??)

EmmanuelJB
06-26-2010, 01:19 AM
1. No they can't. Money Plants are a type of saltwater plant and bettas are freshwater. When you say Money Plant if you mean moneyworts, than yes they can live with moneyworts.

2. I am not sure all of the insects bettas can eat, but they eat blood worms, probably smaller insects, etc. (Sorry I dont know too much about what insects bettas eat).

abrar90
06-26-2010, 01:43 AM
this is a picture of the plant i am talking about.

EmmanuelJB
06-26-2010, 01:45 AM
Well if the plant isnt aquatic it cant go in the tank.

abrar90
06-26-2010, 01:48 AM
It grows if kept in a glass container...ie the roots are in the glass container and it grows upwards outside water.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epipremnum_aureum

Kazenouta
06-26-2010, 02:33 AM
Abrar,
it doesn't say anywhere in that article that this plant is even semi-aquatic. It looks as though it is a forest plant. Also, that article states that this is poisonous to cats and dogs. I don't know that I'd put anything like that in one of my tanks.

AmyLynn
06-26-2010, 03:38 AM
Just because you can root pothos in water does not make them aquatic. If you try to grow that plant submerged in water it will soon rot away and turn your water nasty. If you want live plants in your aquarium you need to look for aquarium specific plants.

taralm13
06-26-2010, 03:36 PM
I have seen tons and tons of those grown in large vases of water where I used to work...people would pass clipping around and they turned our office into a jungle with it. I can see how you would think it could be grown in water but I would advise against it. Even if you just put the roots in they would soon take over your entire tank and become a twisted mess - that's what they do in the vases. It is one of my favorite plants though (it was the only kind I could grow before I found aquarium plants!)

rich311k
06-26-2010, 03:40 PM
You could put it in the tank an let it grow out like it was a vase. It does a fair job of removing nutrients as well. It would work better growing in a sump than in main tank. If you do it be sure to keep it under control so the roots dont completely fill the tank.

taralm13
06-26-2010, 03:44 PM
If you like the look of it you could try growing Cryptocoryne Pontederiifolia instead. I think it looks kind of the same (leaves are not as dark green and there are no light spots though) and it definitely grows the same (as in FAST - it doesn't seem to grow in vines though). I have had it for about 6 weeks and I have already turned one plant into 3 and new leaves are constantly growing! I love it!

abrar90
06-26-2010, 04:57 PM
hmm thanks..

I got a 3.3g tank today... as i am low on budget i thinking which one to go for from the following

1.)Lid

2.)Heater

3.)Filter(can someone suggest custom filter.. i have an air pump running on my other tank.. it has another outlet so i can use the same for the betta tank)

abrar90
07-01-2010, 12:44 AM
Do betta's eat raw meat??

tori.lock
07-01-2010, 02:02 AM
You shouldn't be feeding your fish anything outside of it's natural diet. A betta is much too small to be getting any red meat in its diet. Stick with betta flakes, pellets, blood worms, mosquito larva, etc.

About your previous post, you really need all three. If you get a heater, you will also need a thermometer to make sure it doesn't over heat the water. If you live in a warm climate you might get away without a heater. You can do a make-shift lid for now, so I suggest a filter first. The Azoo Palm filter is great for a tank that size. It's cheap, and easily adjustable. I have one running on my 3 gallon and it works like a charm. I just added a little extra bio media.

tanks4thememories
07-01-2010, 04:08 AM
@abrar90
I was just thinking of the following.
1.) Is it ok to keep money plant in betta tank??
Yes, if you are thinking about having the roots in the water and the plant out of the water and over the sides of the tank you can keep the plant in such a fashion. As mentioned you will likely need to prune it regularly and you may also have lighting issues as the light source will need to be above the plant foliage, if you are planning to keep the plant near a window then that would cause algae issues. Once you figure out the lighting and manicure issues you would be just fine.

2.)Which all insects do betta eat?? (even cockroaches and big ants??)
Fish basically eat insects. If they fit into their mouth they eat them. However with domestic insects you must be careful ie: a cockroach that has been exposed to pesticides would not be good for your fish to eat. Certain other "Live" insects are known to be carriers for parasites and harmful bacteria and should also be avoided

I got a 3.3g tank today... as i am low on budget i thinking which one to go for from the following
1.)Lid
Useful but can wait till get more money.- if you do your plant idea it might be best to make your own anyway.
2.)Heater
I would buy this. although as mentioned if you have a constant temp in your house that is within the correct range for bettas you can even hold off on this. My major concern here would be with such a small volume of water it is very vulnerable to the ambient temperature of your house so rapid changes in your house temp will change the temp in your tank almost as rapidly as it changes in your house. This would be bad for the fish.
3.)Filter(can someone suggest custom filter.. i have an air pump running on my other tank.. it has another outlet so i can use the same for the betta tank)
Make your own
7opKL2gvnKM

Do betta's eat raw meat??
in nature Bettas eat almost exclusively on insects and insect larvae. They are built with an upturned mouth that is well suited to snatching any hapless insect that might fall into the water. Internally their digestive system is geared for meat, having a much shorter alimentary track than vegetarian fish. Live foods are the ideal diet for the betta, however they will adapt to eating flake foods and frozen and freeze dried foods.
Brine shrimp, Daphnia, plankton, tubifex, glassworms, and beef heart, are all excellent options that may be found frozen or freeze dried. If flake food is fed, it should be supplemented with frozen and freeze-dried foods, and if possible live foods. If you want the best health and colors in your fish it is best to feed them a varied diet.

Reference for abstract from Betta diet:
http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/anabantids2/p/betta.htm

abrar90
07-01-2010, 05:09 PM
thanks a lot for great advices

by raw meat i meant raw flesh/lungs etc and not frozen.. directly taken out from the animal and just washed... bala sharks used to eat raw liver of beef in small pieces.