PDA

View Full Version : driftwood

jahser420
06-26-2010, 12:50 AM
got a small bushy nose with a silver aro in a 90 gallon,, ive heard driftwood is a must ist it...and will it effect my aro. oh and if anyone has tips on sinking driftwood im all ears.

Cliff
06-26-2010, 01:24 AM
I donít know anything about aros so Iíll leave that for another member to comment on.

Itís a really good idea to have drift wood in your tank for your pleco

I usually stick to the drift wood you can buy at any pet store that is meant for use in an aquarium. Every pc Iíve ever bought sank right away. Just donít get the wood thatís indented for a terrarium as some of that stuff can be toxic to fish.

From what Iíve read, most drift wood will sink after itís been soaked long enough. I read information were people have just weighted it down in there tank. Some people have used stainless steel screws to attach a heavy pc of slate to keep the wood down

Were did you get your drift wood

jahser420
06-26-2010, 03:53 PM
got it at an aquarium store.. there was slate but it didnt hold it down. its a huge pc,, u think i should break it into smaller chunks?..

Cliff
06-26-2010, 06:37 PM
I would not cut it up into smaller chucks unless you think it will look better that way.

Do you have a larger rubber maid container, or something like that you could fill with declorinated water and fit your drift wood in? That way you could put the lid on and hold almost all of it under the water.

Have your tried boiling it ?

jahser420
06-26-2010, 11:00 PM
problem solved,, went out bought a diff pc from a diff store..it sank, now just have to soak untill the water is clear and not amber... thanx. i think the pc i got frist was for a lizard tank.. but it was with the fish stuff.

Red
06-26-2010, 11:27 PM
Uh.. You need a 175 tank plus for that aro. They get the size of a small dog.

jahser420
06-28-2010, 09:30 AM
how big of a tank is that.. spec wise,,. and anyone know sumone selling a big tank

Crispy
06-28-2010, 10:35 AM
aros are fine with tannins in the water. they come from the amazon which is filled with driftwood. I have 5 pcs in my tank.

minimum tank size 6'x2' IMO.