PDA

View Full Version : Betta tank mate

gadget228
06-25-2010, 09:23 PM
Wanting to get a tank mate for a male betta that I have in a ten gallon tank, the substrate is sand and I have an AC 20 running on low flow. Water temperature is around 79 degree's and pH is 8.0 - 8.2

I know the pH is a little high for a betta and have only had him a couple weeks but he acts and eats fine, he won't eat betta pellets but attacks flake food with a passion.

Any ideal's on what would work ?

tori.lock
06-25-2010, 09:27 PM
Pygmy corries would be a great choice. You could get a small school of them, 6-8, as they stay under an inch. It would leave you with enough room to get a small school of neons, or microrasbora.

chrisfraser05
06-25-2010, 10:11 PM
defo on the corys, i've got three peppers in with my betta and they love it in there.

Means they get all the left over flakes and theres no clashing over whos space is who's.

I also have gone for cherry shrimp in mine to eat the algae from the plants and it seems to add a little something.

How are you getting on with the betta? Lovely little characters aren't they?

rich311k
06-25-2010, 10:49 PM
Small corys or small tetras might work. Some bettas do not like company.

tesroberts
06-25-2010, 10:52 PM
Our Bettas seemed to get along swimmingly with neon tetras and zebra danios.

HeatherB
06-26-2010, 12:51 AM
I have kept Betta's with cherry barbs, mollies, platies, dwarf gouramis (not recommended) neon and pristella tetras and red eye tetras (also not recommended).

For the most part they get along swimmingly! haha. I also have corys and they are great for a tank- eat all the scraps- but make sure they are getting enough food. Shrimp and snails do well too- but the shrimps sometimes get eaten- but I always use ghost shrimp and they are pretty inexpensive.

What ever you add, take your betta out for a few hours, move your decor around and then add you new friends. After a few hours of your new fish having time to get used to things- add your betta.

gadget228
06-26-2010, 12:23 PM
Pygmy cory's may work for me, I have mopani driftwood and some fake plants but I would need to add more to give better hiding places. I also have plenty of flat small rocks that I could add if needed. The only thing I'm worried about is high nitrate levels. My well water has 20ppm out of the tap. My 30 gallon is unplanted and trying Purgin right now to see if it helps the levels, if it does I will add it to the betta tank.

Sharkman
06-26-2010, 01:25 PM
I had cherry shrimp with my betta, but once he figured out he could eat them, he ate all of them...

DragonGoby
06-28-2010, 04:09 PM
Same here... All cherry shrimps and ghost shrimps ended eaten or killed.... Same with my endler.
So I wouldn't recommend to have any tank mate for your betta without having a backup tank. Sometimes bettas do like compagny, sometimes not at all.
If things go nasty, the backup tank will be the salvation of your other fishes or the new tank of your betta!
Get us posted and good luck!

Ashley
06-28-2010, 05:10 PM
I think it depends on the personality of the the betta. I put a snail in with one of my bettas and he ate it's antlers off!!! So just watch.

MrRobarto
06-30-2010, 07:20 AM
Im lookin around for tank mates to go with my beta im thinking neons for now just to see if he likes the company or not.

Time-Out
07-02-2010, 10:51 AM
He may chase them a bit to start with, but he should soon settle down and be used to the company. Possibly even enjoy it!

tori.lock
07-03-2010, 08:10 AM
If you're worried about aggression FROM the betta, remove him and re-shuffle his tank, add the new fish, then return him. He won't think of it as HIS territory anymore, so he'll be less apt to defend it.

FishGirl-Seattle
07-03-2010, 06:10 PM
There are some tiny rasbora species that do well with Bettas like green rasboa (as small as pygmy corys), and galaxy rasboas and another small pretty fish is the ember tetra. All these are small enough you can get a decent sized school (8 or 9) in a ten gallon. These fish are roughly half the size of a neon so you can put more in the tank for the same bio load. Also they are colorful, bettas can make other fish look drab! I have 4 ember tetras and 5 green rasboas in a 5 gallon tank with 5 pygmy corys - it works really nice. Lots of color and action! If the tank were a ten I would readily throw a betta in there!

gadget228
07-04-2010, 11:25 AM
Went to my LFS and wasn't surprised to see that they didn't have pygmy cories and said that they are rare and couldn't order them. Thought about Live Aquaria and they didn't have them either. Any suggestions to who would have them ?

Pele
07-06-2010, 04:23 AM
Corys are great, as everyone has mentioned.
RCS and ghost shrimp work good, although your betta might see them as an overpriced snack.
If you lower the temp, White cloud mountain minnows work wonders, they might need a bigger tank though.
platys are always fun.
Ottos are good if you have good water
Snails are gerat little guys
neans, zebra danios, and guppys could work, but I would advise against it. In fact, i would advise that you just leave the betta in the tank alone and make the tank increadibly awsome.

OrionXI
07-16-2010, 01:11 PM
as for shrimp -- I have a pair of Japonica Shrimp that have lived w/ my betta and other fish for over a year now and there have never, ever been any conflicts.. They often times bump into each other and think nothing of it.. :]