PDA

View Full Version : Probably getting a puffer

Fish Newbie
06-04-2007, 12:03 AM
A spotted puffer.

Let me know anything you think I should know about them :)
I know some, that they are brachish water fish and can go with mono's or scats.

Anything else?

kimmers318
06-04-2007, 12:08 PM
Spotted puffer is generally a common name for tetraodon nigroviridis, or green spotted puffer. These guys are brackish as young puffs but need full marine as adults. I haven't owned any yet because of that reason (when I go BW it will be fig 8's or ceylon) but everyone who does have them loves them to death. Do you know they can get around 6" and need at least 30 gal?

Fish Newbie
06-04-2007, 12:12 PM
What does full Marine mean?

I was told they could live a full life in a 5 gal, min. Maybe it wasn't a spotted.

cocoa_pleco
06-04-2007, 02:20 PM
marine means full saltwater. I heard those puffers are murder to corals so i stayed away from them.

For a 5g you could have maybe 1 dwarf puffer

Fish Newbie
06-04-2007, 02:45 PM
Are dwarf puffers full marine?

cocoa_pleco
06-04-2007, 08:10 PM
nope, full freshwater

Rue
06-04-2007, 10:56 PM
I have 4 dwarf puffers in my 10g...each has staked out a corner, so I seem to be fine...but I wouldn't have more...

...bioload is light, the worst is the dead snails...they often can't eat all of snails and I've found I've had to hand-pick the snail carcasses out of the tank...

...I'm also feeding them frozen brine shrimp and white mosquito larvae...both eaten with relish!

kimmers318
06-05-2007, 12:32 PM
Try using just the hose from your vac Rue....once you get the siphon going pull the vac piece off and use the hose to run around sucking snail shells up. It takes some practice to get good, keeping a finger or thumb on the end to stop the flow is a good idea since dwarf puffers are way too curious for their own good and like to get too close and may get sucked up. That has happened to 2 of mine.

puddlekeeper
06-07-2007, 09:08 PM
As far as GSP's are concerned - I rescued 2 from a LFS a couple weeks ago - they were tore up (tail and fin nip)

The one didn't make it - the other is doing great - tail is almost back.

I keep mine in with two G. Tile eel's and some breeding guppy's and he's happy as can be expected and LOVES freeze dried shrimp and snails and does well on frozen Mysis Shrimp and pretty good on Glass worms.

I have 4 dwarf puffers in my 10g...each has staked out a corner, so I seem to be fine...but I wouldn't have more...

...bioload is light, the worst is the dead snails...they often can't eat all of snails and I've found I've had to hand-pick the snail carcasses out of the tank...

...I'm also feeding them frozen brine shrimp and white mosquito larvae...both eaten with relish!

May I suggest putting beach sand or pool filter sand in the bottom and then you can use a net to get a lot of that out!

That is what I do - easier!

kimmers318
06-09-2007, 12:27 PM
Puddlekeeper, if those GSP's are in FW they aren't going to stay healthy for long. If not I apologize, but I have not yet heard of anyone keeping guppies in brackish.

puddlekeeper
06-09-2007, 01:01 PM
Puddlekeeper, if those GSP's are in FW they aren't going to stay healthy for long. If not I apologize, but I have not yet heard of anyone keeping guppies in brackish.

:thumb: Guppy's as with any live bearer adapts to brackish!
Also; they are popping fry all the time

Fresh Water eel's also require salt water ....

kimmers318
06-11-2007, 11:07 AM
Wasn't aware that guppies can adapt to bw, never kept any myself. How big are your gsp's and what is your salinity?