PDA

View Full Version : Need some plant advice for 10g

Kazenouta
06-23-2010, 05:23 PM
Hi everyone,
Below is my 10g FW tank:
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_RuHknFFol0s/TCENJuqYXWI/AAAAAAAAAtw/psm_vISiG74/s800/DSC01575.JPG

I want this tank to be lushly planted. I'm thinking about adding Corkscrew val as the background plant but I'd also like something leafy to go in here. I'm going to be transplanting the small Banana plant into another tank soon so there will be space there. I'd really like to use one of the "red" plants. If there is some kind of leafy looking plant, colored somewhat red, that resembles an Amazon sword or something like that which can be housed in this tank without overgrowing everything I'd really like that. Unfortunately, I don't have much knowledge of varying species of aquatic plants.

Tank specs: lighting:2 40w CFLs, 6700k
Substrate: Fluorite Black Sand
DIY Co2 system
Pfertz root tabs and liquid fertz available

If you look at the picture and see a place where you think a plant of any kind would look great, I'd love the suggestions.

Thank you!:22:

SkipW
06-23-2010, 06:20 PM
Cryptocoryne wendtii - Easy to grow in low light. Leaves are dark red and green. I have a few of these and had a lot of new growth in only a month. Very nice looking and mine are about 4 inches tall. I don't use CO2.

SkipW
06-23-2010, 06:36 PM
Cryptocoryne wendtii - Red Looks like there might be different varieties of this one.

Nice plants here...

http://www.aquariumplants.com/Beginner_Plants_s/17.htm

SkipW
06-23-2010, 06:49 PM
I also like this one... Coffeefolia (Anubias barteri v. ‘Coffeefolia’)

http://www.aquariumplants.com/Coffeefolia_Anubias_barteri_v_Coffeefolia_p/hf538.htm

little hawaii
06-23-2010, 07:45 PM
Pygmy chain swords would be cool. They multiply well and stay under 4" high in mod. light. I think they are "Echinodorus quadricosta"

chrisfraser05
06-23-2010, 09:02 PM
Here's where I've researched all my plants ;)

http://www.tropica.com/plants/plant-list-a-z.aspx

As you can see in my sig the plant bug has bitten me now lol

Kazenouta
06-23-2010, 09:28 PM
Thanks a lot for all the replies and great ideas. I'm keeping everything in mind! Let's keep them coming thumbs2:

Lady Hobbs
06-23-2010, 11:00 PM
Pygmy chain swords would be cool. They multiply well and stay under 4" high in mod. light. I think they are "Echinodorus quadricosta"

I agree. Vals grow much too tall for a 10 gallon. I have crypts in mine as well as some Wisteria, and even that will need to be continually cut down.

Kazenouta
06-23-2010, 11:26 PM
what kind of crypts are you keeping, Hobbs?

SunSchein89
06-24-2010, 01:48 AM

Tank specs: lighting:2 40w CFLs, 6700k
Substrate: Fluorite Black Sand
DIY Co2 system
Pfertz root tabs and liquid fertz available

Are you saying you have 80 watts of light running over your 10 gallon tank? :sconfused:. Seems like a bit much to me unless I'm misinterpreting what you wrote there. Anyway, wisteria does work pretty nicely, I have some in my 10 gallon. You will end up trimming it fairly often, but it still works out alright.

Kazenouta
06-24-2010, 01:55 AM
I'm not sure if it translates to 80w or not really. There is one 40w on each side of the fixture so each side of the tank gets 40w. If anyone can inform me how this works exactly I'd appreciate it.

I'm a little afraid of Wisteria to be honest. Most everything I've read about it says that it is a greedy plant and quickly kills off most everything else you keep in the tank unless you uproot it and clip it every so often. Sounds like more work than it's worth imo.

SunSchein89
06-24-2010, 10:28 AM
Even 40 watts on a 10 gallon is quite a bit. Every part of the tank where the lights overlap each other is giving you more wattage in those areas too. You may want to look into some DIY co2 or at least dose something like flourish excel. On the bright side (no pun intended :rolleyes:), you can probably keep some red plants and such with that amount of light if you can find a good balance of nutrients and carbon to go along with it. I would look into some floating plants to help give some shade in there since that may be too bright for some.

Kazenouta
06-24-2010, 01:42 PM
I've got a Co2 system hooked up to it atm and regularly treat with liquid fertz as well as having root tabs in the substrate. The plants that I have in the tank seem to do just fine with the lighting setup.