PDA

View Full Version : Otos and bristlenose in the same tank?

wolf_eyes
06-23-2010, 12:27 AM
I've had some bristlenose plecos for a few months now. They are fun little guys and have really changed my mind about plecos. While I really do enjoy them, I miss the cute little faces of the otos I used to have and their amazing ability to mow down algae. The bristles are decent at it but not anywhere near what I have seen in the otos. I was wondering if the two species are compatible. My initial thought is that they would be fine, but I really can't find anything to confirm or deny that.

Edit: Tank is a 30 gallon lol, oi newbie mistake

rich311k
06-23-2010, 12:38 AM
They are both peaceful fish, they will get along fine. just be sure to provide enough food for them.

wolf_eyes
06-23-2010, 12:41 AM
Of course :) Currently three of the sides of tank have algae on them and i'll be getting fresh veggies and growing algae for them on rocks in a separate container. I also have seaweed on hand as well.

mac
06-23-2010, 06:10 AM
They are both peaceful fish, they will get along fine. just be sure to provide enough food for them.

Mine must be a SS. So far mine has killed 1 3in long common Pleco. So had to buy a new one because I was holding it for a mate. Next he killed his own female. Shredded it. Also the male killed Golden Zebra Loach, ripped it apart. Next 4 Kulies. Followed by him ripping apart anything in sight that he could catch. use to watch him flare his gills. Dash around like a mad man. Similar to the people on 28 days and 28 weeks latter. But for some reason he must have been a odd male.

Thus far I have kept heaps of them, bread and sold my own stock. And never had the issue again. So could have been just that one.

On the whole I would see no issue with the Otto and BN.

mac

little hawaii
06-23-2010, 07:51 PM
Absolutly fine. I keep both together and never had a problem. Sort of like my kids.

Rue
06-23-2010, 08:10 PM
Me too! I keep them together!

EmmanuelJB
06-23-2010, 08:43 PM
It depends on the BN pleco. One of my BN plecos is very agressive. He's killed a rubber pleco, 3 corries, and I am pretty sure he killed the other BN pleco I put with him... He even goes after the angel fish somtimes. I have got a couple corries living with him but I don't think ottos would stand a chance.

My other BN pleco on the other hand is relativley peaceful and I think he would do well with ottos. I guess it depends on the pleco...

wolf_eyes
06-23-2010, 10:00 PM
My male bn attacked the other male in the tank and I had to get rid of him, but he's fine with his two ladies and everyone else in the tank. I went out and bought a group of 6 otos yesterday since the store was having a "two for 1 tuesday" sale. So far the male has no interest in them. The swordtails picked on them when they were first put in, but other that no one seems to mind them. Still, I will keep an eye out for any aggression. Thanks so much everyone for your help!

mac
06-23-2010, 11:38 PM
Hope that they live together fine. Should be fine. Just watch in case.

mac

JJsNanna
06-28-2010, 09:16 AM
My ottos were very happy racing up and down the sides of the tank and playing. Then I put in a pleco. Initially it all seemed fine but after a few weeks the ottos were constantly hiding and I hardly ever saw them. I had plenty of food in the tank in different parts of the tank but the pleco would move the food all into one area. last weekend I took the pleco out and the ottos are again racing around so I will never do that again.

Pleco380
07-10-2010, 05:34 AM
If the pleco is big, it's a bad idea to mix a pleco and an otto. Although plecos are quite peaceful so it's hard to say.