PDA

View Full Version : small snapping turtle pond

Crispy
06-22-2010, 02:27 PM
Me and a buddy take care of this old man's pond... nestled in his beautiful garden. It's about 300g and is fed by 2 streams. One stream coming from the paddlewheel of the small cabin and the other from a waterfall basin. Inhabitants of the pond are a breeding pair of snapping turtles and 8 goldfish. Snappers do not bother with the goldfish but eat bluegill, bass, perch, birds, and even a possum this year! They also eat dogfood quite a bit. Turtles are about 7-8 years old and hibernate in the pond all winter. Pond is only filtered by plants. Enjoy...

PS, I show off the turtles in this thread:
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?p=768429#post768429

Red
06-22-2010, 05:36 PM
Very cool pond!

Lady Hobbs
06-22-2010, 08:05 PM
Pretty little pond for sure. Don't snappers eat fish?

Aminax
06-23-2010, 04:33 AM
Those looks like common snappers. Great find and very serene pond!

Australian natives
06-23-2010, 04:45 AM
awesome! i tried keeping a turtle once, but it had some fungal disease (i bought it because i felt sorry for it had a shitty little tank with very murky water at the pet store)but yeah got rid of the fungus once, but it just came back so i gave it to the reptile vet down the road. it is currently living in his aquarium. (it was a Murray river turtle)

DrNic
06-23-2010, 01:56 PM
That's a great setup! I'm not sure I wouldwant a pond with snappers in it but it's cool to see someone that does.

Where does the pair lay their eggs?

Crispy
06-23-2010, 07:31 PM
That's a great setup! I'm not sure I wouldwant a pond with snappers in it but it's cool to see someone that does.

Where does the pair lay their eggs?

they lay them in the corner of the fenced in garden in the dirt (even though there is a sandpit nearby). Same spot for last 3 years. We cover the eggs to keep out predators and to collect the babies when they hatch in the fall.

Rue
06-23-2010, 08:00 PM
Very cool!:1luvu:

I was laughing at the title...wasn't sure if you meant a small pond...for snapping turtles...or a pond for small snapping turtles...:hmm3grin2orange:

korweabo0
06-24-2010, 07:00 AM
what do you do with the babies?