PDA

View Full Version : 2nd attempt at breeding fighters

black_ghost
06-22-2010, 12:12 PM
hey all.

ive had a nother attempt at breeding my fighters. i got som more plants for the tank so that the female has plenty of hiding places if she wants to get away from him. she was in the same tank as him but seperated with a peice of perspex. when i put her in with the male he chased her around a little bit and then after a short while she swam under the nest and they started mating. but as they were rolling about the nest fell apart and they both stopped.

he had build his nest between the glass and some plants.

i watched this video on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBHMRCa-RnM and was wondering what the white thing is? and also does it help keep the nest together?

cheers

Lady Hobbs
06-22-2010, 12:15 PM
Styrofoam. People use styrofoam cups, as well. No point in trying to have fry unless you have other tanks for moving all the fry into. Soon you'll need separate tanks for every male, as well.

black_ghost
06-22-2010, 12:38 PM
I have got a tank set up ready to put the fry in. Or put the male in which Evers easiest. I might try a styrofoam cup then. I take it I cut I down to near enough the base of the cup and put it in?

VoidParadigm
06-22-2010, 12:48 PM
Yes, but do you have separate tanks ready for every single male fry? On average, a nest will hold 100 eggs. Do you have fifty 0.5 gallon or more containers set up for the males? Do you have a way to filter all of them? Are you willing to be diligent enough to change the water in all fifty or more every single day?

Foxalert
06-22-2010, 05:31 PM
How can you identify the males and females when they are young?

black_ghost
06-23-2010, 11:49 AM
i have a small tank with my male in then a 30" tank ready for fry. i also have got a load of those divider sections for the males. my LFS said theyd have any that i didnt have room for

Tigerfishy
06-23-2010, 11:57 AM
It's difficult to tell at first (the difference between males and females). But as they grow, it won't be long until the differences show!