PDA

View Full Version : What is this?

Australian natives
06-22-2010, 09:04 AM
Ok, so today while i was down at the creek, just looking for kewl bits of drift wood and watching the turtles and what not, i found this plant, growing in about 3-5 inches of still water. (It hasn't rained here for a while though so i am guessing it is usually deeper) Other aquatic plants were also growing there, but they were about 20-30cm away. anyway i have never seen this type of plant in this particular creek, and was wondering if was even an aquatic one, or if it had just somehow been submerged. Generally in this particular part of the creek there is only introduced plants, ALOT of introduced plants, first time i have seen anything else growing there.
Oh, i am talking about the Tallebudgera creek, on the gold coast btw.
Also i only took this one shoot. it grew in clumps which spread out along the creek bed biggest group was probably 15 cm in diameter.
anyway if any of u guys could help with identification that'd be kewl, i only wanna know out of interest really =P.
Peace

Australian natives
06-23-2010, 03:01 AM
i am guessing no one knows what type of plant it is then. im gonna see if i cant identify it by google then =P.
thnx anyways for the help guys.

wolf_eyes
06-23-2010, 04:54 AM
Hey,
i'll try to help you figure the plant out. Unfortunately my favorite plant database is down so I'm working on limited resources. With that in mind here are what I think it could possibly be.
bacopa australius
bacopa monnieri
Ammania sp. 'Bonsai'
baby tears (not a native plant but maybe invasive?)

I wish plantgeek was working as I could help you out more... but it's down right now as I said. That site is a great resource for all plant types and they have an extensive plant search area.

Australian natives
06-23-2010, 04:59 AM
thnx a bunch =].
ill google the ones u listed.