PDA

View Full Version : Finally!

coolingeffect
06-22-2010, 07:18 AM
got rid of the last of my saltwater livestock today, now my tank is 100% empty and in the process of being thoroughly cleaned. I bought some pool filter sand today as well as a couple awesome pieces of driftwood that i am currently soaking and hoping they dont leech too many tannins. once i get the tank dry im going to touch up a spot where there is no silicone sealer (never knew about it) and then tommorrow night put sand and water in it and start cycling. I was wondering something though, are the nitrifying bacteria in salt water the same species that do it in fresh water? Driving myself crazy trying to figure out what kind of fish im going to stock. I know sa/ca cichlids but even our petsmart probably has 25 different species in at the moment.

mac
06-22-2010, 08:03 AM
Hey,

Can't answer as to the Bacteria. But I can with the Logs. They will leach tannin. I have yet to see one that dose not leach after many boiling or months, It just gets less.

The up side a lot of fish love the tannin water, and do much better in it.

mac

coolingeffect
06-22-2010, 08:50 AM
the 2 pieces i have have now been in an overheated bucket of water with a 500gph powerhead blowing water around those pieces of driftwood for 3.5 hours and no color change yet. When i bought it i was told that it is "the only kind of driftwood ive ever seen that doesnt stain the water" by the guy who owned the store. I know he may have just been trying to sell me something but so far looks pretty good.

rich311k
06-22-2010, 10:29 AM
The bacteria is different and you will be starting from scratch. Good luck.

coolingeffect
06-23-2010, 07:01 AM
24 hours into trying to get that wood to leach color, i dont think its going to. Ive got it heated to 87 with that powerhead cranking and still cant get any color to come out of it.

coolingeffect
06-23-2010, 10:54 PM
ok well now the tank is full of water being heated up so i can get the cycle going. I really wish that a Jaguar cichlid could play nice with something else as the ones at the store just cry out to me. Though the suriname geophagus kinda does the same thing. (though im not convinced they are geos at all i think they might be nics)

Kazenouta
06-23-2010, 10:56 PM
The tannins won't instantly color your water if experience means anything. It'll take some time