PDA

View Full Version : Proper way to grow Dwarf Hairgrass?

Maestro
06-22-2010, 12:54 AM
About 2-3 weeks ago, I picked up a pot of HG from Petsmart, and nothing has changed at all since. I would like to have a carpet of it in my tank, but it isn't expanding yet.

The HG is still in the pot, and inside the pot the HG is in some kind of sponge material. How should I properly plant the HG to allow it to spread?

rich311k
06-22-2010, 01:00 AM
You need to unpot it. Plant the little planlets in a grid pattern. Once it starts to spread, cut the runners to encourage more growth. Allow yourself plenty of time as it is a pain and will take awhile.

Maestro
06-22-2010, 02:05 AM
Thanks for the quick reply rich.

One last question. The tank that the HG is in now has EcoComplete in it. I was planning to add a small area of sand for the HG, because I've been reading the HG will spread better in sand. Is there any truth to this?

rich311k
06-22-2010, 02:52 AM
I think the Eco would be better. I have never planted in sand.

Lady Hobbs
06-22-2010, 03:14 PM
I just planted 5 pots of the stuff too. For sure you don't want to try to plant it if there are any bottom dwellers until it can get established. I'm trying to grow it in a little 10 gallon for shrimp but it's definately a hassle. I was reading about some lady planting one piece at a time with tweezers. Ya Right. I could live so long! LOL Tweezers do work well for removing all that padding around the stems, tho.

Maestro
06-22-2010, 07:34 PM
One piece at a time, I don't know whether that is dedication or just a lot of free time. :mrgreen:

No bottom dwellers in my tank, just Harlequin Rasboras, Amano shrimp, and Cherry shrimp. So I guess it's good to go. thumbs2: