PDA

View Full Version : O.K., what's wrong??

MrDrums
06-21-2010, 02:23 AM
Hi all. I am trying to get a bushynose pleco in my tank. I lost the pleco in my sig. a while back. I have attempted, on 2 occasions, to put a bn pleco in, and both didn't live 24 hrs - neither was bothered by the other fish to my knowledge.

0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, nitrate <50ppm, water temp. about 75. My PH is high, over 7.....I have heard that bn are sensitive to ph. Is it possible I need to acclimate them longer? Floated bag for 1 hour, added some tank water, fish was active when I put him in....a few hours later, belly-up.

Any suggestions?

Thanks all.

Lab_Rat
06-21-2010, 03:02 AM
50 ppm nitrates is really high, I try to keep my tanks less than 10. Also, you may want to try drip acclimating instead.

MrDrums
06-21-2010, 04:25 AM
it is much less than 50.....just did quick test - very low nitrates...I really do not think that is the problem....will try drip acclimating - gonna give it one more go!

waack
06-21-2010, 11:10 AM
if the tank the BN was in before your tank was very different in PH hardness the drip method will help you. However your hour aclimitising is much longer then i gave to my BN when i put him/her in and 1 month has passed and it has bout doubled in size, low oxygen levels would directly affect a bottom dweller faster then other fish is the tank aerated??

Lady Hobbs
06-21-2010, 01:05 PM
My pH is a constant 7.6 and my bristle nose do very well.

MrDrums
06-21-2010, 08:53 PM
Don't have an airstone, just suface agitation with the spray bar. Hard to fathom that there is low oxygen in a tank like this - all other fish are healthy and thriving. Will try again.....

Dave66
06-21-2010, 09:07 PM
It's your acclimation that's costing you BNs and money. Drip acclimation as said will solve your problem. I doubt it it's your pH, since the vast, vast majority of BNS are captive raised in all sorts of pHs. I see it's more and issue of your hardness compared to that of the shop you're buying the fish from. Over time a tank's hardness can vary widely from that of the shop.

Drip acclimate for between two and four hours and try again on keeping BNs long term.

Dave

MrDrums
06-22-2010, 03:22 AM
Thanks for the advice. Will try drip acclimating - heading out to my LFS tomorrow for one more try. Fingers crossed.