PDA

View Full Version : Shubunkin help! Pic's attached

Terry
06-20-2010, 06:12 PM
I am very attached to my fish so they are monitored daily. I have never seen this before on any forum and need some help to identify. It seems to have appeared overnight so I'm wondering if it is an injury. There is also a collection of blood on Sybil's left side head area. She's eating and swimming just fine since discovered this morning. Please advise. She is one of 5 small comets in a 55 gal. Water parameters good. Thank you.

little hawaii
06-20-2010, 06:25 PM
I am very attached to my fish so they are monitored daily. I have never seen this before on any forum and need some help to identify. It seems to have appeared overnight so I'm wondering if it is an injury. There is also a collection of blood on Sybil's left side head area. She's eating and swimming just fine since discovered this morning. Please advise. She is one of 5 small comets in a 55 gal. Water parameters good. Thank you.

Pics kind of blurred, Give them some malafix in Quarantine.

Wild Turkey
06-20-2010, 06:50 PM
I wouldnt treat with any meds until you have a good idea of what the problem is.

Is a better picture possible? If the fish is acting normally it may be the beginning of a tumor or cyst. No med will help that, but possibly stress out the fish.

little hawaii
06-20-2010, 06:52 PM
Melafix contains teatree oil whitch is a great fungul Preventative. :14:

Wild Turkey
06-20-2010, 07:06 PM
....which does nothing for tumors or cysts. Moving and Qing the fish will stress it out, and so will some meds, as I said above.

Wait until you have an idea of what the problem is before you start treatment, imo.

jahser420
06-20-2010, 08:24 PM
melafix..and pond salt..its prob an injury..do u have slate or any other decorations that have sharp edges.?..take ur carbon out of ur filter,and treat water with salt and melafix,, dont take her out.

VoidParadigm
06-21-2010, 02:39 PM
Melafix contains teatree oil whitch is a great fungul Preventative. :14:

Melafix is simply an anti-bacterial. Pimafix is the fungal preventative.
They have to be used together to be fully effective. And even then, both only kill some types of bacteria, which is why it only works for some people. Additionally, many people's beneficial bacteria will actually feast on the organic compounds in Melafix/Pimafix, causing bacteria blooming and a decrease in oxygen within the aquarium - meaning that in some cases it is actually dangerous to use with coldwater species, who need more oxygen than their Tropical counterparts. Additionally, you should NEVER treat an entire tank with Meds. ALWAYS quarantine sick fish, and ONLY use the Meds in that quarantined space.

In any case, imo, it looks like the beginning of a cyst. Goldfish are prone to developing cysts. It may simply clear up on it's own, I wouldn't worry about it unless the fish starts seeming bothered by it. And even if it is a wound, the best medicine is simply clean water.

Terry
06-22-2010, 12:31 AM
I so appreciate ya'll helping me. I know time is critical with our scaley friends so I hope these pictures are better for someone to id this critter on Sybil and how to treat if possible. (It took forEVER to get these few I hope they help.)
Thank you again.
Terry

cuttsik
06-22-2010, 05:49 AM
I so appreciate ya'll helping me. I know time is critical with our scaley friends so I hope these pictures are better for someone to id this critter on Sybil and how to treat if possible. (It took forEVER to get these few I hope they help.)
Thank you again.
Terry

They look like blood blisters too me my fish has had them she bumped herself on our terracotta log we have in our tank. I just fixed her up with some melafix and she was as good as new in a week or 2. You can give it a try if you wish but of course without seeing your beautiful fishy in person its hard to tell. Hope I helped a lil bit.