PDA

View Full Version : Bristlenose plecos and plants

Jeddi
06-20-2010, 12:38 AM
I know the larger plecos can become pretty deadly to plants, but not BNs... however, what about narrow-leaf plants and soft-leaf plants? I was just thinking about all the plants in my tank, and realized they all have narrow or soft leaves, except for the pennywort! I have water sprite (could be wisteria. my lfs had 2 plants labeled water sprite for different prices and I chose the cheaper one, perhaps they labeled it wrong), dwarf vallisneria, narrow-leaf sword chain, and a dwarf lily (the soft-leaf plant) I know BNs aren't supposed to be as bad, but is would they hurt my more delicate plants if I decided to get one? And if algae were to grow on them, would they eat it or just not bother?

little hawaii
06-20-2010, 12:44 AM
I know the larger plecos can become pretty deadly to plants, but not BNs... however, what about narrow-leaf plants and soft-leaf plants? I was just thinking about all the plants in my tank, and realized they all have narrow or soft leaves, except for the pennywort! I have water sprite (could be wisteria. my lfs had 2 plants labeled water sprite for different prices and I chose the cheaper one, perhaps they labeled it wrong), dwarf vallisneria, narrow-leaf sword chain, and a dwarf lily (the soft-leaf plant) I know BNs aren't supposed to be as bad, but is would they hurt my more delicate plants if I decided to get one? And if algae were to grow on them, would they eat it or just not bother?

BN are great, they do not hurt plants. The ottocinclus is another exceptional algae eater. Very delicate with plants, like to school.:fish2:

rich311k
06-20-2010, 12:54 AM
BNs will not hurt any plant. They are a great fish.

mac
06-20-2010, 01:20 AM
I have never had trouble with my BN's. Mine never hurt my plants. From Cobomba ect.

mac

Northernguy
06-20-2010, 01:28 AM
Mine is so gentle it doesn't even hurt my algae!
It won't even touch it!lol

Jeddi
06-20-2010, 02:49 AM
Alright, thanks guys!