PDA

View Full Version : 90 Gallon Tank big enough?

ippielb
06-19-2010, 08:48 PM
I found an ad on my local classifieds for 3 red belly piranhas, they are giving them away for free, two are 9-10" and around 10 years old, and one is an offspring from the adult two. I was wondering if my tank set up will be good enough for them, i have a 90 gallon tank, with a fluval U3, a AquaClear 70, and a home made sump that pumps 300gallons per hour, around there. I have a 300 watt fluval heater also. Will my tank be enough for 3 piranha's?

Northernguy
06-19-2010, 09:01 PM
What size tank are they in now?
Your tank is big enough for those three fish.There isn't much else you could keep with them.Very cool fish.
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fish/redbellypiranha.php
Some exodon would work but you would have to keep an eye on things for a while.They might nip the piranhas fins.lol The piranhas might catch a few too but there isn't much you would be able to do about it. Its the only fish I know that can live with a piranhas.
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fish/bucktoothedtetra.php

ippielb
06-19-2010, 11:05 PM
135g tank right now. I guess the three have been living together for a couple years. How often would i need to do water changes, and how much water would i need to change?

Oskar
06-19-2010, 11:30 PM
You should change at least 50% of the water once a week. If you feed them live food,you may want to increase that.

ippielb
06-19-2010, 11:34 PM
I have access to a LOT of beef heart, i got my own cattle so, i will be mainly feeding them that. Maybe some live food once in a while. Minnows from the creek, or mice or something i can find on the farm here.

Oskar
06-19-2010, 11:44 PM
Wow,fresh beef heart.Those piranha are gonna love you!

I've never kept them myself,but from what I hear,they are pretty messy eaters,which makes for a messy tank. I would start by doing 1, 50% water change a week,and if the tank looks dirty,or the nitrates are sky high,try another 50% water change.

ippielb
06-20-2010, 01:09 AM
Well tomorrow is the day i'm going to go pick up the fish!

Northernguy
06-20-2010, 01:16 AM
With that diet lots of water changes will necessary in that tank!lol Twice a week would be best.
Mice is not something I would feed them.Stick with the beefheart and minnows.
Is your tank cycled now?

ippielb
06-20-2010, 02:05 AM
Yes, the tank has been fully cycled with minnows for over 2 months now. I will stay away from the mice, thanks.

Lady Hobbs
06-20-2010, 02:41 AM
I was about to say the same thing.......no rodents. They do not eat rodents in the wild and don't need them in home tanks. Their digestive system might not be able to digest hair/fur and that stuff. Besides, it's a bad death getting ripped to shreds.

ippielb
06-20-2010, 03:58 AM
What else would be in their diet, they're omnivores so they need more then just meat. Do they eat any fruits or vegetables?

toddnbecka
06-20-2010, 05:28 AM
They will eat live plants too, same as silver dollars. You could probably feed them NLS or cichlid pellets w/out nearly as much of a mess.

Northernguy
06-20-2010, 05:31 AM
They may eat mice in the wild but they sure wouldn't find one swimming very often.Completely fluke.lol

mac
06-20-2010, 08:00 AM
I was about to say the same thing.......no rodents. They do not eat rodents in the wild and don't need them in home tanks. Their digestive system might not be able to digest hair/fur and that stuff. Besides, it's a bad death getting ripped to shreds.

I know what you mean. But hey in the wild animals eat animals ect. So same in a tank.

mac

toddnbecka
06-20-2010, 08:16 AM
Piranha are mainly fish eaters in the wild, though they do snatch some plants occaisonally as well. I find it interesting that no piranha with scars are ever caught in the wild. Apparently any injury is fatal because the rest of the school will take down the bleeding fish instead of allowing it a chance to heal.

mac
06-20-2010, 08:31 AM
Piranha are mainly fish eaters in the wild, though they do snatch some plants occaisonally as well. I find it interesting that no piranha with scars are ever caught in the wild. Apparently any injury is fatal because the rest of the school will take down the bleeding fish instead of allowing it a chance to heal.

Makes good sense. use to watch them in a large bow font tank at a VIP [not really though] dinner. They would feed them meet, when the dinners were in. man they looked good. And ate heartily.

ippielb
06-20-2010, 10:45 PM
Picked up the piranha's an hour ago, prepping the tank, for them. Then the fun to try and get them in there haha.

Oskar
06-20-2010, 11:49 PM
Lol, Good Luck!
Post pics!

ippielb
06-21-2010, 12:16 AM
Got em in there, going to wait for them to adapt to their new home for a bit, and then give them some meat. Hopefully they colour up, poor things weren't being taken care of at previous owners. They don't have any red on them at all!

ippielb
06-21-2010, 03:20 AM
Couldn't figure out how to edit my last post, but i tried to feed them, but they wouldn't even aknowledge the fresh piece of beef i tried to feed them. So i will give it another try tomorrow after work, hopefully they will eat.

Bristley
06-21-2010, 11:53 AM
They were probably wanting warm food. So you could always attach some "frickin laser beams" to their heads. :hmm3grin2orange:

Seriously though, they probably just need some time to adapt to their new surroundings.

ippielb
06-21-2010, 11:33 PM
Tried again today, just after work, around 20 minutes ago, and i put it on a shishkabob stick, and shoved it in their face, and they still wouldn't touch it. Every time i go by the tank, they go crazy scared.

Bristley
06-22-2010, 12:21 PM
Just keep an eye on them for now and keep trying. They should hopefully settle down and be accustomed to their new surroundings, and then they'll want to eat. I don't know if this is true, but I've always been of the opinion that no animal/fish/whatever is so unitelligent that it will purposefully starve to death. When a living thing gets hungry enough, and food is presented to it, it will eat. Sometimes it just takes time. But this is just my opinion on things.

ippielb
06-22-2010, 09:38 PM
Yup, tried again today, and they still freak out when i go near. Still wont eat.

ippielb
06-23-2010, 11:37 PM
Another day, and another failed attempt of trying to get them to eat.

AlabamaFish
06-25-2010, 12:19 PM
Hi, did you ever get them to eat? I hope they're ok! :ssmile:

ippielb
06-25-2010, 06:32 PM
Haven't had any luck, i tried just a couple minutes ago, and i put the piece of meat on a shiskabob stick thing, and i put it in their mouth, and they spit it out, they don't even bite it. Stubborn.

wolf_eyes
06-26-2010, 05:40 AM
Have you tried adding some of the blood from the beef heart into the water and then making it splash a little in the tank. I know this is what sets off while piranhas so maybe it would help them? The only other thing I could think of is that the previous owner only sold them live so they may be very stubborn to take anything else

i_am_511
06-28-2010, 09:39 PM
Maybe they dont know you yet and are freaked out by being in a different place now. Try putting the food in the tank and walk away leave it in there a few hours
If that doesnt work just put them in that stream you have.
I meant to say go to that stream you have and get some minnows out

Northernguy
06-28-2010, 11:01 PM
If they are not going for the beefheart get them some goldfish feeders or some minnows.They will probably live better.
Try some shrimp.If you have any in the freezer thaw some out.My cichlids love it.

ippielb
06-29-2010, 09:43 PM
Two ate some food, i had to shove it in their face and piss them off, then they ate it out of anger. The biggest darkest one still hasn't eaten any food yet though.

Pleco380
07-10-2010, 04:53 AM
90 gallons is plenty of room for them.

30gallongal
10-03-2010, 08:31 PM
what they ate, because they tend to favor certian foods. Ours grew up on flakes and baby guppies, and we try to find other things to feed them... but most of it just falls to the bottom and we have to reach in and get it.

ippielb
11-05-2010, 11:05 PM
Haven't had any luck with them eating feeder goldfish for when i'm away. Just come back and they're starving.