PDA

View Full Version : Goldfish Hybrid?

LittlePrince
06-19-2010, 01:10 AM
So I'm aware that all types of goldfish should be able to produce offspring together since they are all the same species but I've searching around the internet and can't seem to find any mention of goldfish hybrids. I have a shubunkin, a black moor, and a comet and the black moor is always trying to spawn with the other goldfish. I'm wondering what, if any, experience any of you here at the forum have with goldfish hybrids?

Has anyone successfully bred a hybrid goldfish or seen one online somewhere? I'm not purposely trying to breed my fish at all, but if it does happen, I'm just very curious about what the fish might look like?

Anyone????
Thanks.

little hawaii
06-19-2010, 01:54 AM
So I'm aware that all types of goldfish should be able to produce offspring together since they are all the same species but I've searching around the internet and can't seem to find any mention of goldfish hybrids. I have a shubunkin, a black moor, and a comet and the black moor is always trying to spawn with the other goldfish. I'm wondering what, if any, experience any of you here at the forum have with goldfish hybrids?

Has anyone successfully bred a hybrid goldfish or seen one online somewhere? I'm not purposely trying to breed my fish at all, but if it does happen, I'm just very curious about what the fish might look like?

Anyone????
Thanks.
Every Goldfish on the market is a hybrid. Goldfish were the ones that first got me into breeding. We had one male calico shubumkin that would mate with a gopher if he could. When ever there was a question of what sex a fish was we would just put them in Bills tank and see what he did. it was foolproof. WE had over 2000gallons going in my basement. I did it mainly for the thrill, and I really like goldfish. WE sold them all too.
So not sure what you realy want to know. There are any number of mutt goldfish Hybrids out there. It is very difficult and exspensive to do it right and Keep a pure strain. We would cull out 70-80% of our Ranchus and we payed a lot for 5 breeding fish. Over a thousand, that was anumber of yrs ago to. So enjoy your Hybrid Goldfishthumbs2: :14: :14:

LittlePrince
06-19-2010, 04:32 AM
well I know that they are all hybrids and bred to specific traits and what not. What I'm asking is why I have never seen or read anything about, for example, a black moor and shubunkin cross, or a ranchu and a comet cross? What about a celestial eye and a common?

VoidParadigm
06-19-2010, 12:56 PM
Sigh. They're all the same species, they just look different. It's like breeding a flame delta guppy with a skyblue tuxedo guppy. You still wind up with a guppy. Breed a Great Dane with a Husky. You still wind up with a dog.

You don't hear about crosses between the fancy breeds because they're very simply ugly junk fish, usually bred by accident. Regardless, they aren't true hybrids, because no matter whether you breed a shubunkin with a celestial or what have you, it's still just a goldfish - it's simply a mixed breed.

A hybrid is a mix between two different species, not breeds. (Tiger with a lion, guppy with a molly, etc.)

Lady Hobbs
06-19-2010, 03:15 PM
Good post Void. That should clear things up nicely.