PDA

View Full Version : Several more betta questions from a beginner

SMB
06-18-2010, 06:07 PM
You all have been so helpful, and I hate to have more questions, but I do. Thank you for your help and patience. Wish I could bake you each a pie. :)

1. How hot is too hot for a betta? Is 82-83 too hot? I'm having a hard time keeping my tank cool enough that it's in the range that the crystal thermometer shows. If I have the light and heater on at the same time it seems like it maxes out within a couple of hours. I'm going to get a better thermometer so I can know exactly how hot it does get with both on at once.

2. How can I tell if he's doing well in his new 3gal tank after being moved from the too-small fishbowl he was in as a class pet? He seems... umm... hyper, actually? Maybe even frantic, unless I'm projecting too much? He's zigging and zagging and doing these swimsprints and just generally being extremely active.

3. What does a healthy gill look like? His gills look dark and I can see the thin little membrane thingies peeking out of the slits. (He was not well cared for in his old home.) Are there any photos on here of sick vs. healthy gills?

4. How can I tell if the water flow from the filter is too much for him? If it is too much for him, what should I do? Right now it seems like there's too much water movement for him to build a bubble nest.

I might think of more. Thank you so so so so so much!!!

Sasquatch
06-18-2010, 06:20 PM
Don't worry about asking quetions, that's the whole point of being on a forum.

1. 82-83 is fine for a betta. Get a decent thermometer so that you can have a good idea of what the temperature is and from there, try to keep it stable.

2. If he's in a larger tank and in warmer water, it's normal that he seems more active. If he's been in the tank a short period of time, he may just be exploring his new environment.

3. The black/dark red fluffy stuff sticking out of his gill plates is normal, al bettas are like that, at least those that I've seen. If it's white though, that's another thing.

4. If you think that it's too much water movement, try to find a way to diffuse it where it comes out of the filter. Bettas don't appreciate much movement and since the bioload is so low, you don't need much filtration at all.

Hope it helps.

SMB
06-18-2010, 06:50 PM
Thank you thank you! I really appreciate it!

Is the flow diffusing something I can attend to tomorrow or will he really suffer going that long?

He has only one corner of three plastic plants in which to hide. I'm planning to pick up one of those floating betta logs tomorrow.

SMB
06-18-2010, 06:51 PM
Update: oh, this is so cute, he actually is making a bubble nest on the underside of the intake part of the filter. Heh.

Sasquatch
06-18-2010, 08:54 PM
A little flow for a couple of days shouldn't be a big deal. There are usually some low flow areas in the tank anyways, he'll find them if he gets tired.

SMB
06-19-2010, 02:22 AM
Thank you Sasquatch!!!!

Rob66
06-28-2010, 08:34 PM
i'm probably going to get really hated for this, but a long time ago when i had my betta (before i knew anything about fish), i kept him in one of those small fish bowls. i hardly cleaned it out (like once every few weeks or so), didn't heat the water (left it at room temp) and that thing lived for idk how long, i will tell you that it lived for more than 3 years. so just an FYI, your betta could live for a long time

GL with the betta

MrRobarto
06-30-2010, 07:23 AM
Hey Rob I was in the same boat as you mate and my last betta also lived a long time. But this time ive decided to go with the heated filtered tank lol

Sarkazmo
06-30-2010, 08:29 AM
Here's an easily made flow diverter/diffuser:

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=44359&highlight=Diffuser

Sark