PDA

View Full Version : Oddball Praecox Behavior

Garrett
06-18-2010, 11:56 AM
So I've noticed one of the dwarves has gotten a bit more assertive in the last week or so. He's the biggest or near the biggest in the bunch, and his fins have been a very bold red in comparison with the rest, who are more normally a somewhat faded reddish hue.

This morning when I got home from work, did lights on and morning feeding, I noticed he had what could only be described as an orange-toned 'racing stripe' up from his snout along the front half of his back, which seemed to be pulsating. He was also being, for lack of a better word, assertive. He didn't chase anyone around at feeding so much but he's been very back and forth across the tank and sort of chasing around the other 'bows a bit. The pulsating orange racing stripe was definitely something new to me. I'll try and grab pictures of it later if I can find where the wife hid the camera, but has anyone heard of something like this at all?

rich311k
06-18-2010, 12:48 PM
That is normal for male biows who are in the mood or asserting dominance. Mine do it all the time.

Lady Hobbs
06-18-2010, 03:13 PM
Is he carrying a box of chocolates and some flowers? Sounds like breeding time.

Garrett
06-19-2010, 10:09 AM
*eyes breeding tank already overflowing with fry*
No chocolates yet, but he might just not be a gentleman.
He was calmer when I got up this afternoon, but I guess we'll see. They're thin enough fish I guess I'll notice if one of 'em carrying eggs.

mac
06-20-2010, 01:35 AM
Normal for the Rainbows to do this. Mine do it all the time. The Iran Reds love doing it.

mac

Garrett
06-20-2010, 01:55 AM
It was really the pulsating orange racing stripe up his snout and down his back that caught my attention. Now that I know it's nothing to be really worried about, it's sort of really cool. :hmm3grin2orange: