PDA

View Full Version : is this a good size for my oranda?

xchairity_casex
06-17-2010, 08:32 PM
my oranda is little over 4 inches from head to tip of tail and i have had him since febuary of last year so i have had him exactly 1 year and 6 months when i got him he was probably only about an inch inch and a half he was a 1.98 fancy goldfish i was just wondering if he should be bigger then this for his age or if he is a good size? i just worry becuase for all htis time he has been kept in a 20 gallon (he is being moved to a 180 soon) but his growth seems to have slowed down and i have heard that a goldfish kept in an un-healthy tank will stunt its growth and i dont want that to happen.

Lady Hobbs
06-17-2010, 08:40 PM
No, he is extremely small. Could be he is very stunted from whatever size tank he's been in. I believe they get at least 8-12 inches. Or are supposed to get.

little hawaii
06-17-2010, 08:44 PM
my oranda is little over 4 inches from head to tip of tail and i have had him since febuary of last year so i have had him exactly 1 year and 6 months when i got him he was probably only about an inch inch and a half he was a 1.98 fancy goldfish i was just wondering if he should be bigger then this for his age or if he is a good size? i just worry becuase for all htis time he has been kept in a 20 gallon (he is being moved to a 180 soon) but his growth seems to have slowed down and i have heard that a goldfish kept in an un-healthy tank will stunt its growth and i dont want that to happen.
A growth rate of 2" in 18 months is great for a fancy. He might top out at 6".
Thats a great tank for him/her. Cheers and enjoy.

Lady Hobbs
06-17-2010, 09:07 PM
http://www.petgoldfish.net/oranda-goldfish.html

VoidParadigm
06-18-2010, 12:37 PM
Mm, yep, too small. Oranda's should only get slightly smaller than Blackmoors - which get just under football size. If it doesn't pick up some size when it changes tanks, then yeah, it's been stunted. However there's also the chance he's right on schedule with growth. Sometimes, especially Fancies since they have screwed up genes, they don't get at least 75% of their final size until the third or fourth year of life.

You'll just have to wait and see. The fact that you think the growth is slowing down is a bad sign, though, and you'll want to move him over to the other tank as soon as it's ready.

Celestials, ranchus, etc are the fancies that barely get any length - primarily because they've been grossly inbred. Orandas are relatively normal in comparison.

Bristley
06-18-2010, 01:24 PM
If you're moving it to a 180g soon that should definitely provide it with plenty of space for continued growth. Keep an eye on it once it's moved and try to track it's growth as best you can. It may turn out that there's no problem at all and it will grow just fine now with the added space. Of course it may have already been stunted some as mentioned before. The sooner it gets into the larger tank the better IMO.

Lady Hobbs
06-18-2010, 01:27 PM
I'm with the others. I think once he's in the larger tank you will start to see some growth spurts.

VoidParadigm
06-18-2010, 03:16 PM
In regards to the Fancy goldfish size possibility confusion, I would also like to point out "Bruce."

3ed7B6ug-wk