PDA

View Full Version : The size of my comet goldfish

Zacharyharrison
06-17-2010, 05:56 AM
I just bought five Comet goldfish for my ten gallon fish tank, maybe an inch long, if that. I read online that they will grow to be 12"-14" long, is this true? I saw a picture of a full grown Comet and it looked like it would eat my cat! Maybe these aren't Comets? they were 28 cents each.

SunSchein89
06-17-2010, 08:03 AM
Common mistake among many people. Those are indeed comet gold fish. Most people recommend putting them in 75+ gallon tanks or ponds. They're mainly so cheap because they're mass bred as feeder fish. If you don't want to have a large tank or pond in the near future, I would recommend returning them to the store as soon as possible.

VoidParadigm
06-17-2010, 02:37 PM
Comet/Common goldfish are indeed sold pretty darn cheap.

Which leads many beginners to think they're great for small tanks and/or bowls.

Here's the simple news. You need to return all those goldfish. A ten gallon isn't even big enough for one.

I suggest returning them, then we can direct you to some species that will actually fit.

Also; Don't listen if anyone tells you that goldfish will only grow to fit their space. Yeah, it's true, but they live only 1/20 of the proper lifespan, have their organs squished inside them, and are very prone to health problems. Basically, it's animal cruelty to allow that to happen.

Northernguy
06-17-2010, 03:28 PM
I read online that they will grow to be 12"-14" long, is this true?

Pretty wild eh! lol
Welcome to the Fabulous AC!:22:

Here is a link with some info.
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/goldfish/comets.php

Meenu
06-17-2010, 03:59 PM
welcome to AC. :)

Price of fish and their adult size have no direct corrolation. :)

Lady Hobbs
06-17-2010, 05:16 PM
Check size charts for goldfish in my signature link. No goldfish should be in a 10 gallon tank. Comets should be in ponds or used as feeder fish.

Zacharyharrison
06-18-2010, 04:09 PM
Thank you for all the help guys, but what if i waited for them to get too big for the tank and put them in my mom's boss' koi pond? She has over 200 koi in that thing. Also how would i trasport it, She lives like 45 mins away.

VoidParadigm
06-18-2010, 04:12 PM
Unless the pond is 125,000 - 200,000+ gallons, it's already overstocked, and if the Koi aren't stunted, those baby goldfish will likely just be food.

Also; They're already too big for that tank. You need to get rid of them now.

The best method for transporting fish is to get a cooler or a rubbermaid tub - something sealable - put them and the water in that, pop the cover down, drive. Bam.

Zacharyharrison
06-18-2010, 04:17 PM
ok thank you, and i dont think she is overstocked because she's rich as hell with her own personal pond person. he makes sure the pond is perfect.

megastealer
06-19-2010, 01:21 AM
I'd say go for it. I mean honestly, what do you think the pet store is going to do with those fish if he returns it? The conditions I've seen these little goldfish in at pet stores is way worse than 5 of them in a 10 gallon.

But yeah, those fish are going to die in your 10 gallon, and they won't grow right at all, especially if you didn't cycle your filter yet.

And I mean not grow right at all as in you can expect 3 or so of them to die in the next 2 weeks, and it won't be pretty.

I'd see about getting them in that pond as soon as possible. Sure, they will probably just become food, but in the grand scheme of things that is probably a better fate than suffocating on ammonia and nitrites.

Lady Hobbs
06-19-2010, 02:42 AM
I would not be dumping fish in anyones pond without their permission. Could be this lady has only koi because she wants only koi.

little hawaii
06-19-2010, 03:13 AM
I would not be dumping fish in anyones pond without their permission. Could be this lady has only koi because she wants only koi.

Feed them to your cat, and don't tell me that's cruel. Thrillion of fish are scoffed every day.:18: :18: :18: