PDA

View Full Version : Red Tiger Lotus bulbs question

domjd05
06-17-2010, 02:20 AM
My red tiger lotus bulb has taken a beating since the addition of my pressurized co2 system.. I'm guessing it was the initial ph swings thats caused the die-off...

Anyway, I got the bulb from aquariumplants.com, and on the site, one of the user reviews of the plant states that if you "remove the plant from the bulb, the bulb will regrow another plant, I have four of these plants that have all come from the same bulb"... I'm a newbie to plants really.. is this true?

If so, how do you do it? do you pull the plant out of the bulb? or cut it as close as you can to the bulb? I'd really like to try and get another one growing.. because out of 3 that I bought (5 bucks a piece)this is the only one that is actually red that is shown in the pictures.. they other two are a dull green/brown and not very attractive.

kennedpa
06-17-2010, 04:59 AM
Not sure I would blame your CO2 or the said PH swing unless it is an extreme swing, either way CO2 will not cause havoc with plants not matter what type they are....its just like saying o2 will kill ur fish :-O. A friend had issues with his lotus, it died off and then small leaves would sprout and then die off. Cause ws that nice looking black substrate...looks good but some plants do not go for it. I told him to take out some of the black gravel/sand...whatever it is but its really fine, my conclusion was that it was chopping up the roots. Anyway, replaced the black with normal gravel around the area and below the plant, bingo plant is happy and he runs co2 too.

Generally I cut the plant away from the bulb, no set distance and I have even ripped the plant away from the buld with no issues.

domjd05
06-17-2010, 11:06 AM
Well I had the plant for roughly 5 months now, and it was putting out a new stem almost every week.. and all the decay started a week after the co2 was added... I don't think it was the co2 itself.. thats obviously not the problem, like I said, I think it was the ph swing POSSIBLY.. it was swinging from 6.4-6 almost every day for a week..

At first I thought the plant was choking itself out and the leaves on top were huge compared to the new growth, but that didn't seem to be the case

I don't think its my substrate either.. it's not a sand substrate its gravel, small but still gravel, but I'll take that into consideration.. last time I moved the plant (shortly after I first planted it) the roots reached almost halfway across the aquarium (3ft!) I'd never seen a plant root like that.

kennedpa
06-17-2010, 12:32 PM
Have you tried or use Iron supplements...Lotus like Iron

domjd05
06-17-2010, 01:05 PM
No I have flourish comp. But I barely use it because I always get a ton of algae growth from it no matter how much or little I use.. That has iron in it right?

Splish
06-17-2010, 03:40 PM
I am totally new to aquariums, but just basic chemistry here, CO2 could cause differences in pH by forming carbonic acid in the pressence of water. Carbonated beverages are more acidic for this reason I believe.

I would't throw out your original hypothesis.

kennedpa
06-18-2010, 12:31 AM
I am totally new to aquariums, but just basic chemistry here, CO2 could cause differences in pH by forming carbonic acid in the pressence of water. Carbonated beverages are more acidic for this reason I believe.

I would't throw out your original hypothesis.

Yes it does cause a diff... My controller is set so the co2 pumps out when PH is between 7.2 and 6.99. At night when the co2 is off my ph rises to 7.3... not much of a swing, and at times it has gone up to 7.44 without any ill effects.

kennedpa
06-18-2010, 12:32 AM
No I have flourish comp. But I barely use it because I always get a ton of algae growth from it no matter how much or little I use.. That has iron in it right?

I have used iron root tabs with success as well. I generally put 2 tabs under the gravel near the root ball.