PDA

View Full Version : I went a little crazy and need help!

eslerman
06-16-2010, 05:36 PM
So this setting up a new tank process has taken for ever. And I've been pretty patient - until now. I recently finished my cycle and went in to trade the danio's I used for cyling for some galaxy rasbora my LFS got in. Instead, I traded in the danios and walked out with an armload of plants. I mean a bunch.

I purchased
two Anubias Nana
two Ludwigia acuata? (it was just listed as Ludwig, I kind find a perfect match online though)
two Amazon swords
two Java ferns
a plant named "temple plant" - I can't identify
and two "small swords" - also unable to identify, they are smaller with much more round leaved than the amazon swords, and almost a red hue to the leaves.

The tank setup looks beautiful. I can't stop staring at it. However, my tank in only ten gallons and I fear this much plant life is not sustainable. My question is, can I make this work? I have a single strip flourescent light. I've read the articles on a balanced tank, and understand what it mean, but when do I know my tank is balanced? When do I know I need to add C02 or other nutrients?

Also, when trimming, can I just cut off all the yellowish leaves? How bout leaves that have been chewed on?

I'm sorry... I know I wasn't prepared for this. It was completely impulsive. (blush) Still, your guys advice has saved me before, I'm hoping you can help me again.

Thanks.

SkipW
06-16-2010, 05:54 PM
Plants can give the fish a sense of security as well as provide benefits to the tank over all. As long as there is open space to swim, you should be fine. Open Space is relative to the size of fish you put in there.

For lighting, you need to determine the WATTS and Kelvin (K) rating. For freshwater plants you want something in the 6500K - 8000k range. And for a 10 Gal tank, a 20 Watt bulb should do nicely (2 watts per gallon) as a starting point. A bulb with less wattage can also work well, it really depends on your plants. If you go over 2 watts per gallon you may need to look into CO2, but see what happens first. I don't use CO2 and my plants are fine.

A good plant substrate like Flourite can help also.

Fertilizers .... Many options if you want to go down that road, but not always needed.

Also, do you have any fish in the tank? I wouldn't leave it empty for very long or else you'll be starting your cycle all over again.

rich311k
06-16-2010, 05:58 PM
There really is no limit to plants but some do grow large. Those Amazon swords could over take a 75 gallon tank.

Anywhere for 2-4 watts a gallon on a ten gallon should be enough for those plants.

The swords are heavy root feeders so you want a good substrate or at least put some fert tabs in your substrate.

Good luck with it all.

little hawaii
06-16-2010, 06:00 PM
You sound like you are on the right track to me. I have tanks you can not see fish in because of plant growth. I would advice you to put 5-6 Ottocinclus in. they are superb alge eaters and especialy delicate on your plants. Have fun.:19: :11: :14:

eslerman
06-16-2010, 07:07 PM
Thanks guys. I'm gonna check my wattage as soon as I get home. And I'll pick up some fert tabs.

No fish in there atm, but I'm gonna get em in there asap. I was planning on getting 3 Oto's. You think that'd be enough? I like to save room for 5 or 6 galaxy rasboras and then a pair or two of Dario Dario's.

If I had four Dario Dario, 6 galaxy rasbora, and 6 Oto's, thats overcrowded in a ten gallon right?

Spardas
06-16-2010, 08:38 PM
It would be a bit overcrowded but if you keep up with water maintainence; it should be fine.

I would also only get one pair or Dario Dario or 1 male with 2 females.

eslerman
06-17-2010, 06:19 AM
Awesome. Thanks a bunch.

SunSchein89
06-17-2010, 08:19 AM
Stocking sounds alright to me. The otos definitely help with algae. If you want, you can get a really cheap hood and lights for a 10 gal tank at walmart. They have a hood that takes two screw-in type bulbs and they sell these 10 watt 6700K bulbs right there in the aquatics section for $5 a piece. The whole setup will cost you a little over $20 and grow a good amount of plants for you. I have the same setup and tried swords in my 10 gal tank, but they never turned out so well. Really with the height of the tank, the swords wouldn't ever really get to grow out like they should. I had plant substrate, but no root tabs, so that might have been the cause. Look into flourish and flourish excel for some easy fertilizers and a source of carbon without having to go into co2 injection. You can always go the DIY co2 route as well. Check out the link in my signature for the 10 gallon tank if you want to take a look at some possibilities for what the walmart bulbs and the ferts I mentioned earlier can do :22: .