PDA

View Full Version : New Pleco, and a heater question:

MrDrums
06-16-2010, 05:22 AM
Hi all! Been a long while since I have been on. My pleco died a few days ago - not sure why, just one of those things I guess. Tried to replace him with 2 Chinese algae eaters, which were promptly eaten by my green severum - lesson learned, they were small enough to fit in his mouth. I took a small risk and got an albino bushy-nose pleco - the risk being he is also small enough to fit in the severum's mouth, but so far, so good. After 2 days, he is doing great. Fingers are crossed.

Now for the heater question. I have one of those Marineland visi-therm heaters - the plastic kind. It is rated for my tank, which is a 54 gallon corner tank. I know the heater is working, as I have adjusted it, and it is definitely on. However, I have it set to 82 right now, and my water temp is only 72-74. Is it common to have to crank the heater up past where you want the water temp to be? Ideally, I'd like to have the water temp at about 77-78. Any thoughts?

Thanks all!

little hawaii
06-16-2010, 05:25 AM
I would replace it with a brand name heater. You should buy a higher wattage, they do not have to work as hard that way and will last longer.

MrDrums
06-16-2010, 05:36 AM
O.K. This weekend I will look into it. Thanks!

Excellence
06-21-2010, 12:07 PM
Don't your lights increase tank temp too?

waack
06-21-2010, 12:13 PM
if water does not circulate enough around the heater and the theometer sp? is at opposite end of the tank, the water around the heater may be slightly warmer then that of the water around the themometer thats y they always suggest putting them near a current/ moving water (not sure where yours is)

Lady Hobbs
06-21-2010, 12:22 PM
Those heaters are inside a plastic housing so the fish do not get burned. They are supposed to be one of the best heaters on the market but I am also having a problem now with my Marineland heaters.

Go to the Marine.com website, call their customer service number and they will ask you for the numbers on it and send you a replacement. Don't hold your breath! The replacement may not work, either.

Did you set the heater up in the tank for a bit before plugging it in? That's a mistake I just made and was told that's how they caliberate them but in my case it made no difference.