PDA

View Full Version : Using Spaghnum Peat Moss

Kazenouta
06-16-2010, 01:16 AM
Hi everyone,
I picked up some Canadian Spaghnum Peat Moss from my local hardware store today for use in my Tetra tank. I'm hoping to acidify the water and to get some color out of it too. I'm wondering, how do I use the moss? Can I just stick it into my filter? should I wrap it in something?

Thanks!

Spardas
06-16-2010, 02:48 AM
For the Canadian Spaghnum Peat Moss, I wouldn't put it in the filter right away. Depending on the hardness and pH of your water; it'll be the determinant on how much peat you should use. Set up an aging bin or barrel aerated/filtered with peat for about a week or so. Boil the peat so that it sinks. Stick it into some nylon wrap or something so it won't be everywhere.

It's trial and error so take your time to get the desired pH and hardness that you want. Also, make a note to yourself to set a water changing schedule because leaving peat in the water over a period of time will lower the pH more and more. That's why you need to set a standard amount of water, a standard amount of peat, and a time frame.

Once you get a general idea, you can do water change with the aged peat water. Throw out the old peat after each use.

Kazenouta
06-16-2010, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the reply, Spardas! This is a really great, safe method from the sounds of it! I'll start on it today with hopes of being able to put my first batch of black water into the tank during next week's wc.

Thanks again :22: