PDA

View Full Version : Praecox on his way out

Lady Hobbs
06-15-2010, 09:07 PM
Having a bad fishy day, I guess. So seldom lose a fish and today a glolight tetra died 15 minutes after being fine and playing around. I decided to move the 4 Praecox into my 10 gallon until they can grow up some. They were in my 55 but hid in the corner all day due to the tank full of larger bows of other species.

I get them all moved and notice one panting constantly and the beginning of pop eye. Treated the tank with Melafix and Primafix and dropped in an airstone but she doesn't seem to be coming around. Lots of gasping going on so we'll see if she makes it thru the night.

Both the glolight and the praecox were bought 2 weeks ago.

Brhino
06-15-2010, 09:08 PM
sorry to hear it :scry: Nobody likes losing fish. I'm sure you're one of the most careful fishkeepers on these forums. Sometimes it just can't be helped, I guess.

fins_n_fur
06-15-2010, 09:12 PM
Let's hope the one pulls through then! :19:

Lady Hobbs
06-15-2010, 09:17 PM
We can't get all upset about losing fish when we're in this hobby for sure. I saw the dead tetra and thought "oh well". Saw the praecox was sick and run for the meds. LOLOL We do have our preferences, don't we?

Spardas
06-15-2010, 09:40 PM
I hope it makes it as well. Not sure if Pima/Mela would have been my first choice as they reduce the amount of DO in the water even with the air stone. I would have used acriflavine because it would aid in oxygen carrying capacity if your fish is really gasping a lot.

Lady Hobbs
06-15-2010, 09:45 PM
I actually thought of trying salt first. I'm using the Pima/Melafix because of the start of pop eye. Whatever else she has going on, she will either get over it or she won't.

rich311k
06-15-2010, 11:02 PM
Good luck with her.

ohmikeosh
06-15-2010, 11:12 PM
Good Luck! That's great you were able to act on it right away.

Lady Hobbs
06-15-2010, 11:29 PM
He was apparently ill before he got moved today but in my planted tank, it's so full I could barely see him. I hope he makes it too. They aren't in my store very often.

EmmanuelJB
06-16-2010, 12:03 AM
Sorry to hear!

I had 2 fish with pop eye, and treated with melafix, and it worked on 1 of the fish but not the other.

I hope the rainbow pulls through!!

toddnbecka
06-16-2010, 05:01 AM
I don't even have any fish meds on hand. If one gets beat up it gets moved to another tank to recover before being moved along, hopefully to a more suitable environment. I do have rock salt to treat the occaisonal outbreak of Ich, but otherwise it's up to the fish.

Lady Hobbs
06-16-2010, 05:11 AM
This Pima/Melafix is all I have and there are the original bottles. Never thought they did all that much, myself. But I tend to agree that dropping $20 on medications to save a $5 fish is rather silly.

Spardas
06-16-2010, 04:32 PM
I agree with that statement that it's kind of silly to save a $5 fish with expensive meds but since I have discus; I always have a stockpile just in case.

The cost of a discus is too much for me to just let it die, lol.

Lady Hobbs
06-16-2010, 04:40 PM
You're right there! I would have spent $50 to save a b.parrot that died of old age.

The rainbow is still hanging in there.

DragonGoby
06-16-2010, 04:48 PM
I hope your fish is going to be allright. We all know here that you are a very good fish keeper...
Nonetheless, even with the risk to be beaten, I will disagree a little with your statement about fish price/med price...

Be careful in this way of thinking... With that kind of argument, why buy a 5gal, a heater and a filter for a betta?....See my drift? :14:

Anyway, sorry for the little ranting that's not the place...(blush). Finger cross for your fish....

Lady Hobbs
06-16-2010, 04:51 PM
I see what you are saying and I agree. I guess my meaning is more if you have 48 tetra's, why drive yourself nuts trying to save one? $20 of meds would buy you 5 more that were healthy. I meant it in that content and should have worded it differently, I suppose.

Spardas
06-16-2010, 04:54 PM
Well, the strong will live and the weak will die.

If the fish keeper is doing everything correctly and the fish still succumbs to illness; then the keeper can choose to do what's best for the fish.

In nature, the fish will only rely on its own immune system to fight off whatever is wrong with it anyway. There's no one to add medicine to help them in nature. They're on their own. So, we do what we can as fish keepers.

DragonGoby
06-16-2010, 05:06 PM
I know that My Lady! And I agree with Spardas... It was just a little point I have to make, even it wasn't the good place... (stubborn girl).
And I guarantee you that I won't buy an insufflator for my betta if he falls ill.... I swear... Well... :hmm3grin2orange:

Keep us update on your rainbow, they're really beautiful fish.