PDA

View Full Version : Sick betta

iceywind
06-15-2010, 08:06 PM
A few days ago I noticed my betta was fat so I just assumed he was a bit constipated. I didn't feed him that day and yesterday I tried to give him some pea or broccoli. I didn't see him eat any. Each day that has gone by he has gotten a bit worse. Today, I noticed his color has faded a lot and some tiny bits of fungus on his tail. He's still pretty fat and it looks like he's trying to poo, but overall he just looks worse. He's spent most of today laying on the bottom.

I did a water change today and the water parameters have been perfect (no ammonia, nitrates or nitrites). He lives in a planted 3 gallon Eclipse tank that's at a constant 78 degrees. I've had him a year.

Is there anything else I can do for him?

Spardas
06-15-2010, 08:23 PM
Do a w/c with 1 tsp of epsom salt. If nothing passes out from the fish in a day, put in antibiotics that are easily absorbed by the fish (maracyn 2 or kanamycin or furan 2). Furan 2 is good in this case since it has great anti fungal qualities. The reason being for antibiotics is if the food stay inside for too long, it will rot and cause a build up of bacteria inside.

aquariums+me=happy
06-15-2010, 08:25 PM
Do a w/c with 1 tsp of epsom salt. If nothing passes out from the fish in a day, put in antibiotics that are easily absorbed by the fish (maracyn 2 or kanamycin or furan 2). Furan 2 is good in this case since it has great anti fungal qualities. The reason being for antibiotics is if the food stay inside for too long, it will rot and cause a build up of bacteria inside.

Epsom salt works wonders.

iceywind
06-15-2010, 09:45 PM
Okay just got some epsom salt add dissolved a bit in the tank. He's hanging in there, I just hope he makes it through the night.

iceywind
06-16-2010, 01:17 PM
He didn't make it. RIP fishie :cry:

Spardas
06-16-2010, 03:54 PM
Sorry to hear that. At least you got to enjoy him for a year. It's time to go out hunting for a new betta.

aquariums+me=happy
06-16-2010, 03:57 PM
It was probably a better 1 year for him than a 10 years worth of life in a cup at the pet store.

iceywind
06-16-2010, 04:30 PM
Thanks guys. Yup, he had an excellent life. He had such a funny personality and wasn't aggressive at all. Would always swim up to the front of the tank when I walked by. He will be missed.

Like Spardas said, it's time to rescue a new betta from a tiny cup.