PDA

View Full Version : Snail on crab question...

tyxpx
06-15-2010, 03:22 AM
Do most all snails and crabs need larger shells in the tank for when they get bigger and need a new home? How do I go about choosing shells if so?

Brhino
06-15-2010, 03:43 AM
for snails, the shell is part of their body! They start out with a shell and it grows when they do!

Most species of crabs do not require shells. Only hermit crab species do, as far as I know. In that case, yes, it is good to have an assortment of shells of different sizes so they can upgrade when they feel the urge.

tyxpx
06-15-2010, 03:50 AM
I knew regular crabs dont need shells, lol. should have been more clear ha. The snail I have have sheels the kinda look like a icecream in a icecream cone. Sprial cone shaped. The shells did not look like they were part of thier body and grew but ya learn somthing new everyday! I have a bunch of blue legged hermit crabs. No shells in tank other then the ones on thier back. So I should go get some more shells to put in? How long do the blues live?

Brhino
06-15-2010, 03:59 AM
I couldn't find how long they live but apparently they only get 1" big, so no need to get any super large shells. They have been known to kill snails and other hermit crabs for their shells, though, so make sure you have plenty of empty ones for them to chose from.

Lab_Rat
06-15-2010, 05:46 AM
I was warned to make sure the hermit crabs have larger shells to choose from, otherwise they may kill snails to steal a larger shell. Don't know if this applies to all hermit crabs.

**disclaimer** I'm a sw noob so that is just what I was told.

travie
06-15-2010, 02:16 PM
Definitely get some more and slightly bigger shells for the hermits. Blue leg hermit don't get big, but they do grow a little bit.