PDA

View Full Version : Peat moss..

geo.2tired
06-14-2010, 11:19 PM
In reading a couple of threads, I am wondering about the peat moss being used under the sand, What kind do you suggest.. Right now I am just using play sand, with some low light plants.

jclee
06-14-2010, 11:41 PM
Peat moss is usually used to make water more acidic.

Lady Hobbs
06-15-2010, 03:56 AM
Peat is too light to be used in planted tanks. Top soil (or potting soil )is what is used (without the added Fertilizers) but is really for the advanced fishkeeper. Not to say you are not as I have no idea but just to mention it incase.

Unless plants are put in the substrate and allowed to totally be left alone, not moved, then it works. I tried it but it sure didn't work for me because I move things around too much. You also don't want diggers in the tank or you'll have one heck of a mess.

Peat is used in the filter to soften water, not for planting.

geo.2tired
06-15-2010, 04:09 AM
Thanks jclee and Lady Hobbs, I sort of misread some of the threads about the peat. I think I will try some of the fertilizer tabs or the liquid type of fertilizers.. I'm also going to get some better lighting soon. Thanks

Lady Hobbs
06-15-2010, 04:17 AM
Fert tabs, especially in sand, should be useful. If you have slow growers and low light, be very careful with liquid ferts so you don't get a bout of algae.

geo.2tired
06-15-2010, 04:34 AM
I have been looking at this web site:
http://www.aquariumplants.com/ for the fertilizers, they seem pretty reliable to me.

Lady Hobbs
06-15-2010, 04:42 AM
I gave someone that link a couple weeks ago and they wrote me back to say they love the ferts. I mean, what do they cost there.....75 tabs for like $10. But I use their substrate and love it! Much cheaper than any of the plant substrate. I have one tank with the black, one with the Amazon and one tank with the two mixed.

geo.2tired
06-15-2010, 04:45 AM
Thanks for the info..I haven't looked into the substrates there yet but I will.. Thanks again

Lady Hobbs
06-15-2010, 05:04 AM
You can do an awful lot just by sticking java ferns and anubias to wood to make a tank look full and planted, too. Everything does not need to be in substrate.

My parrots tear my tanks apart so have swords with rocks piled around the roots, the tall plant is in a pot just stuck in there and the rest is java on wood. That's the amazon substrate.

The second picture is the black substrate, low light tank (Home Depot shop light) and very little fertilizer. You do not have to have kick-butt setups to have a planted tank.

A 5 gallon pail was enough to do a 55 gallon tank.

Cermet
06-15-2010, 02:22 PM
Fert tabs, especially in sand, should be useful. If you have slow growers and low light, be very careful with liquid ferts so you don't get a bout of algae.
Very good point; rather consider just adding some iron and potasium as needed (can get "No Salt" at the food store - I use 1/4 tsp/75 gal once a week; there are Fe measuring kits. This is needed since high Fe can kill your fish - no guessing.)

Cermet
06-15-2010, 02:25 PM
I have discus and use peat in my HOB to help the fish. Peat is really used for fish, not plants (but does help them.)

taralm13
06-15-2010, 02:41 PM
Lady Hobbs - I too use the same substrate as you but in looking at your picture yours actually looks black where as mine looks grey like cat litter. Do you think maybe I got a bad batch?

I do think it works good for the plants though...but this is my 1st tank so I actually have nothing to compare it to.

little hawaii
06-15-2010, 03:19 PM
Read the post from Cermet on iron. So good answers I think.

SkipW
06-15-2010, 04:48 PM
I have been looking at this web site:
http://www.aquariumplants.com/ for the fertilizers, they seem pretty reliable to me.

I use their "Total Fert Pelets" as well as their substrate. I did have some problems with a few plants, but I'm thinking that was due to not enough light. (which I've just upgraded) I do have Cryptocoryne wendtii (Red) growing very well under the low light (lots of new growth in 6 weeks time) and some others (don't know the names) that I have to keep trimming every 3-4 weeks. Hopefully the new lighting will help with some of the other plants.

It was a toss up between their substrate and Flourite. The deciding factor was price, and reading reviews about how much easier it was to rinse before adding to the tank. Apparently Flourite needs to be rinsed 3-4 times. I did one good rinsing and never had a problem. Clear water over night.

They also have very nice plants, if you don't mind paying the extra on 2nd day delivery.

Lady Hobbs
06-15-2010, 06:18 PM
Lady Hobbs - I too use the same substrate as you but in looking at your picture yours actually looks black where as mine looks grey like cat litter. Do you think maybe I got a bad batch?

Nope. Probably just a color variation. Still looks good, tho.