PDA

View Full Version : Possible Stock Re-Plan

tori.lock
06-14-2010, 05:47 PM
I'm having some new thoughts on my ten gallon as some issues arose (or rather, I realized) that will make housing more delicate species a little tougher than I had hoped. I may stick with my original plan, but want to see all my options before I start on anything.

Is there any dwarf cichlid small and mellow enough for a ten gallon (single or pair)? From the bit of research I've done it seems that shell-dwellers are my only option, but I've already got my tank set up in a way that wouldn't be too ideal for them. (Lots of drift wood, plants and slate) Would they be happy in that sort of environment if I provided them with their needed shells alongside the current decor? Also, how hardy are they? The main issue I'm having is that I move back and forth between college and home, so the fish will need to be hardy enough to have a lifestyle of transportation and adjusting to different water.

FinalJenemba
06-14-2010, 06:07 PM
Well I have 1 female GBR along with 2 ottos, 1 dwarf frog, and some ghost shrimp in my 10gal right now. I know this is supposed to be to small for a gbr but its VERY heavily planted, and she seems quite content.

little hawaii
06-14-2010, 06:44 PM
checkerboard Cichlids - only get 2" long. very cool fish. Dicrossus filamentosathumbs2:

tori.lock
06-14-2010, 06:52 PM
I looked at those guys, but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be fond of the water they have at my school. I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure that it's extremely hard and it sounds like they really need soft water.

coolingeffect
06-14-2010, 07:16 PM
i kept a pair of kribs in a 10 along with a few other fish for like 3 years before i had any problems......i thought the kribs would never spawn and they miraculously did and everything else had to come out of the tank.

tori.lock
06-14-2010, 07:35 PM
This is probably a no-no, but do you think that, depending on the water hardness up at my school, I could get away with a single cockatoo cichlid and a small school (6-8) of pygmy cories?