PDA

View Full Version : New to goldfish and they have bred!

benni2007
06-13-2010, 06:45 PM
I bought 2 Goldfish in February, who were still very small, the aquarium said they were baby fish, now I know this is not true. Since February they have grown and bred, despite being in a Biorb tank, which everyone keeps saying is rare. (Is it?)

I ended up with 67 fry, (we left several stones etc in the tank for the parents to eat and took out a couple of stones. We still have 12 fry. (No deaths in last 2 weeks). They are 8-12mm long still. So help is needed. Online says that they should be growing quicker, how big should they be at 5 weeks, what should I be feeding them and how old can they be to be left for a weekend? (I need to go to a Wedding and I can't really say I need to feed baby fish!) I am currently feeding them on ground daphinia, tubflex and liquid fry 3 all ground together as they would not eat the liquidfry 3 on its own.

Any help would be really appreciated. Also can you let me know what sizes they should be at set points so I track milestones.

Thanks

little hawaii
06-13-2010, 07:00 PM
Hi ; I breed goldfish for years and it all started similar to your story. I would suggest you start hatching brine shrimp for your fry at least. You can also crush a little boiled egg yolk in water and eyedrop it in for the smallest ones. That is the main ingredient in liquifry. They can reach half an inch in one moth with lots of small feedings and lots of water changes. You are doing well so far. What kind are they?

Lady Hobbs
06-13-2010, 07:38 PM
:fencing: :fencing: :fencing:

Your aquarium will soon be full of fish fighting for space. Not usual for fish to spawn at a very early age. I've had cichlids that I thought were still little babies and here they are already, mommys.

gadget228
06-14-2010, 10:36 AM
Welcome to the AC... :22:

Congrats on all the fry. :ssmile:

Lady Hobbs
06-14-2010, 01:54 PM
Make sure you start doing lots of water changes as you will probably get an ammonia spike with all those fry. Perhaps your fish store will take them when they're a few months old?

Bristley
06-14-2010, 02:19 PM
Welcome to the AC, glad to have you aboard.

VoidParadigm
06-14-2010, 04:33 PM
What size tank are they in now?

There is no set chart for goldfish fry growth rate, because most of them wind up in overcrowded tanks, and thus are stunted from the very beginning. Honestly, these fry sound simply too small to be that old. How many times a day do you feed them?

Don't give them to friends, family, or stores until they've either started gaining their mature coloration (grey or brown is the usual baby color) or they've hit 2-3'' with tail. Preferably wait for both of those to happen. Depending on if they've been stunted, their genes, water-changes, and every other variable you can think of, even including the proper lighting, this could take three months, to a full year.

Chances are it won't kill them to not be fed for two or three days, but it's certainly not good for such young creatures, and I wouldn't recommend being away any longer. You could get a friend or neighbour to come over and feed them, but if you do this split up the amount of food before you leave, instead of trusting the person to put the right amount in. We've had too many stories on here of people trusting others to put the amount they showed them in, then coming back to a black, brown, and very dead tank.

MrRobarto
06-19-2010, 12:42 PM
Welcome to the AC! grats on your fry too