PDA

View Full Version : Whaddaya think?

Drumachine09
05-31-2007, 05:10 PM
I am getting a bunch of money soon, and i am going to get a better light. I was intsructed to get this one, by a guy that used to own a huge SW aquarium store in florida, with 50,000 gallons under his control. Now, 70 watt, or 150 watt? I know 70 watt will work just dandy, but is 150 better (most likely), or would it be, dare i say it, overkill? Heres the link:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=15489&Ntt=viper%20159&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&pc=1&N=0&Nty=1

Quick question, does this mean no hood? Even a glass hood? I dont like having dust on the surface, and i wont be able to affor a protein skimmer, let alone a small one that would fit, for a while. Maybe i should do a sump instead. Hmmmmm, so confused.

Lady Hobbs
05-31-2007, 05:18 PM
Why couldn't you use a hood but attach it to the back of the tank where you could do a cut out for it?

Since you have "lots of money" coming soon, don't forget your friend hobbs.

Drumachine09
05-31-2007, 05:30 PM
Why couldn't you use a hood but attach it to the back of the tank where you could do a cut out for it?

Since you have "lots of money" coming soon, don't forget your friend hobbs.

lol, ill get you something nice.

Are you talking about a glass hood?

Lady Hobbs
05-31-2007, 05:55 PM
Yes......sorry. Forget to mention that small fact. The light is a swivel type, right?

Drumachine09
05-31-2007, 05:57 PM
Yes......sorry. Forget to mention that small fact. The light is a swivel type, right?

Its multi postional, if thats what you mean.

RobbieG
05-31-2007, 06:03 PM
I'd go for the 150 - it's not much more money percentage wise and its always easier to dim a light than brighten it!

2manyfish
06-01-2007, 02:37 PM
I would go with the higher wattage too. With that over your tank you will be able to keep anything in there!! It will also be good if you decide to upgrade your tank later on.
A couple of warnings though. MH runs hot. Real hot so be prepared. It is also the most expensive lighting to run... not only electricity but also replacement bulbs. If you have the money I would buy a couple of extra bulbs with that too. Make sure to test them, make sure they work then store them away somewhere safe.
Also, you might have to have a glass hood regardless. I can't say for that manufacturer but I know that with my Coralife PC unit if I don't have a full glass hood under it, the warranty is null and void. So read your warranty to make sure what is required!

thumbs2:

Drumachine09
06-01-2007, 03:30 PM
I would go with the higher wattage too. With that over your tank you will be able to keep anything in there!! It will also be good if you decide to upgrade your tank later on.
A couple of warnings though. MH runs hot. Real hot so be prepared. It is also the most expensive lighting to run... not only electricity but also replacement bulbs. If you have the money I would buy a couple of extra bulbs with that too. Make sure to test them, make sure they work then store them away somewhere safe.
Also, you might have to have a glass hood regardless. I can't say for that manufacturer but I know that with my Coralife PC unit if I don't have a full glass hood under it, the warranty is null and void. So read your warranty to make sure what is required!

thumbs2:

Alright, 150 watts it is. I will also need to go get a peice of plexy glass to cut for the hood. Gosh. 200 bones on a light. My mom will think im crazy! Its only a 14 k bulb, so i might upgrade to a 20 k bulb.

Also, another stupid question. I want to do the sump idea, but i dont want to have to buy a huge expensive pump from rena or whoever sells them, and a powerhead might not be powerfull enough, so could a cheap boat pump from walmart work?

2manyfish
06-01-2007, 06:45 PM
No clue on the boat pump. Hopefully someone with knowledge of boat pumps can chime in!!

Drumachine09
06-01-2007, 06:46 PM
No clue on the boat pump. Hopefully someone with knowledge of boat pumps can chime in!!

Just realize that most bilge pumps are in the 600gph range. so i look further, and i found a pond pump that would fit the bill its 70gph ar 5 feet of head. How many gph am i looking for for a sump?

Drumachine09
06-05-2007, 08:18 PM
Now that i think about it, would a 20" 96 watt PC work instead? Ive heard that 70w isnt enough, 150w is too much, so would 96 be abouut right? its 50 dollars cheaper than th 70w MH too. Would it work?

jttt3
06-06-2007, 01:51 PM
From what I see, 55 gallon or higher saltwater tank setups are using 150watt metal halide.

What's funny is that wattage is only how much electricity it takes to power the light itself, not necessarily how many Lumens it puts out, though when looking at the same time of lighting (metal halide to metal halide) wattage is a good way to consider performance, just like a normal incondescent bulb.

Before you get the 150watt light, check the lumens on your choices if you can and pick the higher of the bunch. If you can find a 70watt blub that puts out as many lumans as a 150watt bulb, then there you go. Lumens is how much light the bulb puts out. Also, make sure you have a reflective surface behind the light to redirect any stray rays back into your tank. It greatly increases the overall efficiency as light is not lost to the air.

Keep in mind that the difference betwen a 60watt bulb and a 150watt bulb can show a difference in the electric bill since you are more than doubling the amount of electricity you are using, especially if you run more than 1, so be ready for complaints if your family is energy conscious. And there is the replacement bulb cost as well that was addressed on the previous page. You always have to look at overall cost in terms of replacement and energy use especially as protrolum products are getting more expensive these days.

As far as the Kelvin rating, that just shows what color temperature the light is. 10,000K-15,000K is good for corals, 6400-6700 is good for basic plants. Look at what you have as far as specimens in your tank and what you are going to add and base it on that if you are considering going higher than 15,000 Kelvin

As far as a pump, I have a 220gph submersible pump and it didn't even fill up my penqiun wheel filter system enough to keep it running, I was looking for a way to bypass the noisey motor it uses. 220gph is fine for a powerhead, its not too strong to overly exercise your fish, and can probably blow directly on coral from 12-14 inches away without bothering them too much, but for other purposes, I would suggest 400gph ish. Be sure to get rubber flex tube if you replace any tubing rather than vinyl as it is less likely to permanent crimping and breakage. Also, extremely strong clamps that are very adjustable or you will end up with a huge mess and a burned out pump. I've had that happen in a computer before, not fun.....

kkyyllee
06-06-2007, 04:41 PM
how big is ur tank? ive seen setups with 150 wat mh over 2.5 gallons, and alot of people have them over 10 gallons, what are you keeping in it?

Drumachine09
06-06-2007, 04:53 PM
Well, i would like to do SPS, but, i heard they are not really hardy, and i know they need a LOT of light. Also, the polyps are very expensive

I would like to stick to cheap corals I dont see myself spending over 20-30 dollars on a coral. I have some mushrooms right now. Oh and its a 10 g.

jttt3
06-06-2007, 05:12 PM
Don't forget about your actinic lighting =)

Drumachine09
06-06-2007, 07:00 PM
Don't forget about your actinic lighting =)

Actinic is not required. It helps some symbiotic algae growth, but its not needed. However, it does provide a nice deep sea look.

The link i provided has actinic lighting too.

:28:

i love these new smilies.

jttt3
06-07-2007, 01:18 AM
Nothing like a deepsea look in a 10 gallon lol

cocoa_pleco
06-07-2007, 01:29 AM
actinic lights are cool. I enjoy mine.

As far as corals go, try and get a cheap hardy one to start, then a expensive one thats hardy if you can. I love my hammerhead coral, and he was 75$ for $50.

jttt3
06-08-2007, 06:28 PM
Either way you go should be a safe bet but overkill as if my memory serves me, I believe that a 150watt Metal Halide lamp puts out around 9000 Lumens in the spectrum you want, and a 96watt PC lamp will put out around 7500-8000 lumens in the correct spectrum. And since you are at 10,000K+ in the color spectrum the actinic lighting is not needed, but would just make it look cooler lol.