PDA

View Full Version : teddscaus's Aquarium Diary

teddscau
06-12-2010, 05:57 PM
I've decided to make an aquarium diary to try to figure out why my fish keep dying. I haven't been making note of the dates things have happened so I'll try my best to remember.

Cermet
06-12-2010, 06:14 PM
Fish dying? That is not good! I hope anyone here can help! Good luck!

teddscau
06-12-2010, 06:15 PM
REMEMBER, THIS IS A ROUGH GUESS OF DATES. DO NOT HOLD THEM INTO ACCOUNT. JUST UNDERSTAND THE ROUGH TIME BETWEEN DEATHS.

Around May: I noticed one of my my cardinal tetras wasn't acting himself. He kept opening and closing his mouth. I also noticed my 3 cardinals weren't schooling as usual.

June 8: I removed a little less than 50% of the water while gravel vacuuming.

June 9-11: I left the care of my tanks to Mom while I was away with Dad.

June 12: I noticed the cardinal tetra that kept opening and closing his mouth dead on the filter. I noticed my other fish had been eating him.

domjd05
06-12-2010, 06:28 PM
Can you tell us what size tank you have? As well as filtration, other tankmates, and water parameters?

I know it may sound like a lot but it would really help us, help you!thumbs2:

teddscau
06-13-2010, 08:26 PM
I have a 29 gallon tank, parametres are always 0, I have a stringray and a Whisper 30 Power Filter, 2 cardinal tetras, over 40 snails, 3 otocinclus, 7 male guppies, over 30 baby mollies (I'll be getting rid of some when they're bigger), 1 ghost shrimp, 3 adult mollies, 1 moss ball, around 10 moss ballets, 1 micro sword, 1 chain sword, a bulb plant I put in a different tank, and a small java fern growing on a leaf.

Spardas
06-13-2010, 08:33 PM
Cardinal tetras are usually a hit or miss. It would also depend on your method of acclimating them and the source of where they came from. If all your other fishes seem fine, then I'd say it's just a bad batch of cardinals.

If you can describe your acclimating process; maybe it'll help as they can be sensitive initially.

HeatherB
06-13-2010, 09:12 PM
Besides the Pristella tetras I have now, I have never had much luck with tetras of any kind. Either they nipped my other fish, or they died to easily. I would have loved to have a 10 g. with only Neon Tetras, but the most I could ever keep alive was like, 3.

I have started drip acclimating all my fish. I haven't lost a fish (within the first 48 hours of getting them) from doing that. Fairly easy to do with some airline tubing and and a flow regulator. I got it for less than 5 bucks at Petco.

teddscau
07-16-2010, 05:21 PM
July 14: Two of my baby mollies were struggling at the bottom of the nursery.

July 15: Both of the babies were dead.
Likely cause: food poisoning from spoiled brine shrimp; Dad fed them that, not me.

July 16: The molly that probably had TB isn't looking so good. She's acting peppy like usual. She hasn't been swimming around a whole lot lately. I also noticed something red on the roof of her mouth. I'm not sure if that's normal.

Also, I think my fish might be overweight, especially my guppies.