PDA

View Full Version : Another Fish Illness... help appreciated.

lukasmac
06-12-2010, 03:38 PM
Ok...

First time fish tank owner for my g/f daughter... decided to start off with goldfish and work our way responsibly to tropical.

Bought 2 goldfish... set up the aquarium, treated the water, let the get acclimated to the different temp of water before letting them go in... done. They are alive, well, happy, and thriving.

1 week later, we decided to get 2 more goldfish. Let them get acclimated to the different temp of the water before letting them go... done. Alive... well... happy... thriving...

...three days later, one of the new fish are laying on the bottom of the tank right next to the water pump. I move him with the fish net... he moves away slow and lethargic, fins look curled not perky. Almost floating with the current with letting effort to swim. A day later, he dies. The other three look great and are in fine shape.

2 days after the passing of the fish (today), the other new fish (2nd one from the second batch) is doing the same. Laying on the bottom of the tank right next to the water pump. I move him with the fish net... he moves away slow and lethargic, fins look curled not perky. Almost floating with the current with letting effort to swim.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

VoidParadigm
06-12-2010, 03:53 PM
Firstly, the tank doesn't sound like you used a fishless Nitrogen cycle to get the tank ready first.

Goldfish are actually not a responsible start - it's a common misconception.
They can get a foot long, are very messy, and just aren't suited for beginners.

How big is the tank?
Four common (plain fish-shaped) goldfish need at least 100 gallons to be raised properly, and even four fancy (multiple-tails, weird belly shapes, odd head growths, etc) goldfish would need at least 50 gallons, preferably 75.

Chances are you've got an extreme ammonia spike in there, and that's what's killing them.

lukasmac
06-12-2010, 03:57 PM
50 gallon....

Any suggestions on how to save the sick one and prevent the others from having the same fate?

VoidParadigm
06-12-2010, 04:02 PM
If you don't have one I suggest you go buy a liquid testing kit. Make sure it comes with tests for Ammonia, Nitrites, AND Nitrates. Not to mention, make sure you have enough dechlorinator in the house, as you'll need to do a lot of waterchanges if the tank was never properly cycled. Very simply, unless you're going to return the fish until cycling is done (3-6 weeks on average) you simply can't help but have the fish at risk.

Lady Hobbs
06-12-2010, 04:15 PM
Four goldfish in a week was too many to add at one time if you did not have a cycled tank. Have you a test kit to check those parmeters? You need to do some water changes to hold those toxins down.

Spardas
06-14-2010, 01:53 AM
Read up on cycling a fish tank.

You can read up on it in Lady Hobb's signature. It'll give you a good idea of what to do before introducing fish.