PDA

View Full Version : Convict Question????

crazylady6900
05-31-2007, 04:31 PM
I recently just bought a pair of convicts 1 male and 1 female. Now I have been reading that sometimes due to their protective nature over their young that they may tend to go after one another if they get bored from having no danger from another fish to protect their young from. I read that this happens sometimes and the male might kill off the female b/c of this. So I guess my question would be...If this might be true could anythign else be kept with them. It's kinda a weird question b/c at the same time they also tend to kill off anything that may pose a threat.

TehTANK
05-31-2007, 07:12 PM
The best thing to do is seperate the male and female during that time. That would be my suggestion

Lady Hobbs
05-31-2007, 11:05 PM
All cichlids are very protective of their spawns. My angel just spawned and would attack the glass when I even walked past the tank. They will keep all fish at bay and perhaps kill.

crazylady6900
06-01-2007, 06:59 AM
Is it ok to put something in with them then? I know its tricky. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with keeping anything with them.

Fishguy2727
06-01-2007, 12:45 PM
I think the best way to breed them is to have a couple if not a few tanks. Once the fry are free-swimming, move the parents to another tank. This lets the fry grow up and lets the parents start to focus on their next brood. Another fish in the tank is just not fair to that fish.

Juannie
06-07-2007, 05:12 AM
I had a breeding pair a few years ago and not only did they breed like rabbits but they actually killed off anything else in the tank. They were a beautiful pair & I originally had them in with other convicts. A friend gave them to me, they killed off other fish and then I lost convicts (& they weren't small) in their tank. They were separated and put into their own little home. They are absolutely beautiful parents though. You need hiding places for them too.