PDA

View Full Version : Keeping a betta tank cool?

rothenb1
06-12-2010, 12:35 AM
Now that summer is here my house is starting to heat up a little. My 90, 55 and 30 gallon temperatures are all fine, but my betta's 5gal just keeps heating up. I took the heater out a few days ago but the reading is still 80 degrees F. How can I keep it cooler? It's not in any direct sunlight or near a source of heat. I'm guessing it has to do with its small size.

He doesn't seem to be suffering at all but I'm worried 80 is a tad high.

Thanks!

annageckos
06-12-2010, 12:45 AM
He should do fine at 80F. If you are worried you can always get a little fan to blow over the tank.

rothenb1
06-12-2010, 12:54 AM
Would it be a bad idea to drop an ice cube in there? With some dechlor, of course.

annageckos
06-12-2010, 12:56 AM
I wouldn't do that. The temp will end up going up and down and stress the fish. 80 is ok for bettas.

rothenb1
06-12-2010, 01:26 AM
Okiedoke, thanks a lot. I'll just keep an eye on the temperature and for any signs of distress.

tori.lock
06-12-2010, 03:03 AM
80 is perfectly fine for a betta. I had one in the low 80's (stupid non-adjustable mini heater) and he was feisty as all could be. Unless it's gets really high I wouldn't try to adjust it, as a fluctuating temperature is more stressful than a high one.

korith
06-12-2010, 03:50 AM
The fan idea is a good one, I been doing this each summer. Walmart usually has small clip on fans fairly cheap. Just put it on the side of the tank, you'll have a bit more evaporation but the fan should take the tank down a few degrees.

A larger tank would be good also, more water volume. Oh also in summer I change around the lighting schedule, so the lights go on later in the evening when it is cooler.

korith
06-12-2010, 03:52 AM
Another idea, take a plastic bottle and add dechlorinated water to it, then freeze it. You can float the bottle in the tank. Dechlorinated water in the bottle just in case it leaks.

Michael Milligan
06-12-2010, 04:56 AM
I don't there is any need to worry. Our betta's wild equivalent thrives in places much hotter than Buffalo NY.

Rue
06-12-2010, 04:58 AM
Another idea, take a plastic bottle and add dechlorinated water to it, then freeze it. You can float the bottle in the tank. Dechlorinated water in the bottle just in case it leaks.

I was going to recommend this method too...in case of an extremely hot day...

Better than icecubes...lasts longer...

korith
06-12-2010, 05:35 AM
I was going to recommend this method too...in case of an extremely hot day...

Better than icecubes...lasts longer...

Could do 2 bottles so one is in the freezer and the other in tank, and just keep swapping them.

rothenb1
06-14-2010, 03:15 AM
Thanks for the replies, guys! The tank is down to 79F now (whoopie) but I'll keep an eye on it. If it gets too hot I'll do the water bottle deal, but he does seem to be OK. I guess I'm just worried, I don't want to lose another betta :scry: