PDA

View Full Version : feeding cherry barbs

Jeddi
06-12-2010, 12:34 AM
I've had my cherry barbs for about 2 or 3 weeks now-- 3 males, 6 females, in a 29g. Well, one of my males is about half the size of the others. It doesn't help that he's a male, either, having to "compete" with the others.

The problem I'm facing is that whenever I feed my fish, he doesn't come up to the top like the rest of them. He doesn't even attempt it, so its not like they're chasing him away. I just see him swimming around the sides and bottom of the tank.

He must getting some sort of food, probably diatoms and other stuff around the tank. I'd like to be able to monitor his feeding, though. So how can I get him to eat with the rest of them? And what would be the best diet to put him on to make him grow to the same size as the rest? He's not exactly a baby, but he's only about 3/4ths of and inch to an inch, while the others are maybe an inch and a half. I don't want to take them out of the water to get an exact measurement, though.

Michael Milligan
06-12-2010, 01:29 AM
I figure that if he were to get hungry enough he would jump at the food.

Little Embers
06-12-2010, 02:12 AM
I would suggest that when you feed the others at the surface, drop in some pieces of a sinking pellet around the area where he normally swims, he is bound to get some if he is hungry. Or sprinkle powdered fry food around, some of it will sink/float around and he should get some.

He could be sick or stressed in someway (is there a lot of competition from other fish at feeding time?), have a genetic disorder, didn’t get enough nourishment as a fry, or he is much younger than the others.

Jeddi
06-12-2010, 02:36 AM
I would suggest that when you feed the others at the surface, drop in some pieces of a sinking pellet around the area where he normally swims, he is bound to get some if he is hungry. Or sprinkle powdered fry food around, some of it will sink/float around and he should get some.

He could be sick or stressed in someway (is there a lot of competition from other fish at feeding time?), have a genetic disorder, didn’t get enough nourishment as a fry, or he is much younger than the others.
He's just younger than the others. He was taken out of a different tank because there were only 2 of the larger males left.

I'll get some sinking pellets at my lfs next time-- don't have any at the moment. Also, when my BBS hatch, I'm going to stick the turkey baster near him so he gets a lot.

Little Embers
06-12-2010, 02:41 AM
Also, when my BBS hatch, I'm going to stick the turkey baster near him so he gets a lot.
Good Idea!...for the time being, you could also do that with crushed up flakes.

Jeddi
06-12-2010, 02:58 AM
Good Idea!...for the time being, you could also do that with crushed up flakes.
Will do! :hmm3grin2orange:

Excellence
06-30-2010, 10:29 AM
I had 2 cherry barbs and they hid at the bottom amongst plants. Very timid little fish. I'm sure they were starving and too afraid of the larger tankmates. Tried different ways of feeding. I just seldom saw them eating. Maybe they were just two and need groups.