PDA

View Full Version : plant help!

ohmikeosh
06-11-2010, 09:57 PM
I had a few questions for you plant experts? as I am trying to get a plant layout for my tank.
1.) What are some small plants for a beginner that dont get to big?
2.) Can plants like swords' root system's be contained keeping the plant smaller. (kind of like bonsai tree principal)
3.) I have seen tanks with patches of grass, at least it looks like actual grass in little patches, what is it. I have tried doing research, but cant find much of this kind of info. Any suggestions appreciated. I only have a 29g tank. my lighting is 8,000 k 17w. I will prob have to change my lighting which is no prob.

Tango
06-11-2010, 10:14 PM
1.) Some smaller plants that aren't very difficult to look after include: Cryptocoryne walkeri var. lutea, Dwarf swordplant (Echinodorus quadricostatus var. xinguensis), Dwarf helzine (Hemianthus callitrichoides), Dwarf vallisneria (Vallisneria americana), Java moss (Vescularia dubyana), and Java fern (Microsorium pteropus) - Though Java Fern can reach 10 in.
2.) I'm sorry, I am unsure about this one.
3.) There are several species that can be used like this: Tiny crytocoryne (Cryptocoryne parva), Pygmy Chain swordplant (Echinodorus tenellus), Hairgrass (Eleocharis acicularis), Lilaeopsis mauritiana.
If you have any questions about the plants, just ask. I hope I was helpful.

chrisfraser05
06-11-2010, 10:24 PM
there are some very good exapmles on this site :)

http://www.tropica.com/home.aspx

I think you'll like this one ;)

http://www.tropica.com/layouts/some-experience/the-classic-aquarium-%28128l%29/description.aspx

Lady Hobbs
06-11-2010, 10:32 PM
My favorite link http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide.php

Tells where they should go in the tank and light requirements for each.

ohmikeosh
06-12-2010, 01:10 AM
1.) Some smaller plants that aren't very difficult to look after include: Cryptocoryne walkeri var. lutea, Dwarf swordplant (Echinodorus quadricostatus var. xinguensis), Dwarf helzine (Hemianthus callitrichoides), Dwarf vallisneria (Vallisneria americana), Java moss (Vescularia dubyana), and Java fern (Microsorium pteropus) - Though Java Fern can reach 10 in.
2.) I'm sorry, I am unsure about this one.
3.) There are several species that can be used like this: Tiny crytocoryne (Cryptocoryne parva), Pygmy Chain swordplant (Echinodorus tenellus), Hairgrass (Eleocharis acicularis), Lilaeopsis mauritiana.
If you have any questions about the plants, just ask. I hope I was helpful.
Excellent info, thank you very much. I'll research these all. thanks!

ohmikeosh
06-12-2010, 01:12 AM
Chris and Lady Hobbs thanks for the links they are definatly helpful. It helps to know where to plant them too as the site shows. That is exactly what I was looking for. THANKS ALL!:22:

AmyLynn
06-12-2010, 10:46 PM
I had a few questions for you plant experts? as I am trying to get a plant layout for my tank.
1.) What are some small plants for a beginner that dont get to big?
2.) Can plants like swords' root system's be contained keeping the plant smaller. (kind of like bonsai tree principal)
3.) I have seen tanks with patches of grass, at least it looks like actual grass in little patches, what is it. I have tried doing research, but cant find much of this kind of info. Any suggestions appreciated. I only have a 29g tank. my lighting is 8,000 k 17w. I will prob have to change my lighting which is no prob.

You will want to look into adding to your lighting. Try for around 2wpg of 6700K lighting. That will give you a good base to start from.

If you like java fern you can look at narrow leaf java fern and lace leaf java fern as a couple of attractive and smaller alternatives. Anubias are another plant that stays smaller and is easy to grow.

Your smaller carpet type plants are going to require high light most of the time to stay short. You might be able to try pygmy chain sword with the 2wpg.

Something like a vallisneria would stay smaller diameter, but give you good height in your 29g.

Good luck!! thumbs2:

little hawaii
06-12-2010, 11:01 PM
Pygmy swords stay small. Larger Swords do real well in teracotta pots with a lot of peatmoss in the bottom. What is your water chemistry like? That can determine theplant types that will do well for you. These gorgeous planted tanks you see are probably running co2 as well.:22: