PDA

View Full Version : anyone know about guitar plecos?

Ashley
06-11-2010, 09:54 PM
I am buying an already established 5 gallon tomorrow, for my soon to come bettas, and it has current inhabitants of 3 guppies and a guitar pleco. I've seen them in the pet store before, but never owned one. I was going to put it in my 75. Anyoe have any info on them, main concern is how big do they get!

Trillianne
06-11-2010, 10:03 PM
Well pleco planet didn't know what a guitar pleco was... but google thought maybe its one of these:

http://www.loaches.com/species-index/beaufortia-kweichowensis

Does that help?

Ashley
06-11-2010, 10:05 PM
wow, that's pretty, hope that's what it looks like, lol. If it is a loach, it stays quite small :)

Lady Hobbs
06-11-2010, 11:01 PM
Never heard of it but that photo was of a Hillstream Loach. Don't know as that's what you meant. Hillstreams are awesome and generally in tanks of their own with large water currents at the bottom. Wish I had such a tank.

wolf_eyes
06-12-2010, 01:28 AM
The only other thing i could think of it being is a banjo catfish which are sometimes referred to as Guitarrita (sounds like guitar).

I have a feeling though it's a hillstream loach. I had an overfiltered 20gL (with 2 20 aquaclears) and I had one in the tank. He did good in the tank. I had a little cave hideout near the filter for him so that he could be well oxygenated while he slept.

toddnbecka
06-12-2010, 01:51 AM
Aside from that, how do you tune the buggers? Once you sort it out just get a drumfish for rhythm and a pipefish for the high notes and they can make beautiful music together... :hmm3grin2orange:

annageckos
06-12-2010, 01:58 AM
Hillstream loaches (if that is what it is) need a fast current and cold water. They come from fast moving mountain streams. They need a higher O2 level then tropicals. A twenty long with a larger AquaClear set up at one end would be ideal for them. They are very cool fish, but they do have special needs to thrive.

Northernguy
06-12-2010, 01:58 AM
This is the Guitarrita pleco.
http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=25

No pleco should be kept in a 5gallon tank.I would think the smallest tank for a 6" fish would be a 20gallon.
You said the 5 gallon was for the bettas you want to get.
How many are you planning on putting in a 5 gal?
Hopefully only 1 male.

Ashley
06-12-2010, 02:53 PM
This is the Guitarrita pleco.
http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=25

No pleco should be kept in a 5gallon tank.I would think the smallest tank for a 6" fish would be a 20gallon.
You said the 5 gallon was for the bettas you want to get.
How many are you planning on putting in a 5 gal?
Hopefully only 1 male.

The pleco will be going in my 75, and the guppies too.

Yes, only one betta will be going in that 5 gallon. Maybe an apple snail as well.

I am getting 5 awesome betta online (thread in betta section), so that means I am also getting 5 new tanks, lol. I already have a 5 gallon ready to go. Then I am picking up the 5 gallon mentioned above with those current inhabitans, along with 3 2.5 gallons :) In the future I am getting a 5 gallon table lamp aquarium. I'll see how well I can house the loach/pleco, or maybe he'll need to go.

Was just wondering if anyone had ever heard of them. I saw them before at big als and they were labelled guitar plecos as well. I'm assuming the store thought they should name it that because it is shaped like a guitar, therefore making it really hard to look up any useful info, lol.

Northernguy
06-12-2010, 03:53 PM
Is that not the pleco in the link I posted?

Ashley
06-13-2010, 03:25 AM
So, I picked up the tank today, it is definitely the loach. It's really cute!

toddnbecka
06-13-2010, 03:29 AM
So where are the pics?
The interesting thing about the hillstream loaches, they live in fast-flowing mountain streams, thrive in setups made to simulate a river, and breed in small tanks with nothing but an air-driven sponge filter. I suspect it's the water quality rather than high flow rates that's important to keeping them alive and well.