PDA

View Full Version : Stocking help

Jacko
06-11-2010, 08:41 PM
So I'm working on a 75 gallon display tank in the LFS that I work... need help with stocking it, want to know what everybody would WANT to see in a planted display tank

http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/pp174/awise13/IMGP6690.jpg

One note... can't be angelfish, already had a pair of phillipine blues in there that another coworker (who kept saying he hated angels) "accidently" killed them when he did a water change... not willing to risk it again even though he's no longer allowed to touch the tank

BTW, the tank is far from done, but for over a year it sat with a clump of java moss, a few rocks and a fake stump with 6 exodons in it...

Lindsey
06-11-2010, 08:52 PM
I'd love to see a good population of inverts, and maybe 2-3 large schools of different tetra species. Maybe lemons, black skirts, serpae.. I'm really fond of the bigger-bodied tetras, and they'll make more of a statement in a large planted tank than thin-bodied tetras like neons or cardinals would. At any rate I'll be excited to see what you get in there, it's a great looking tank already.

chrisfraser05
06-11-2010, 09:05 PM
I agree with the above that I'd like to see inverts and lots of schooling small fish!

Also ground cover like Hemianthus callitrichoides :)

Mmmmmm. I wish I had your Job!

Jacko
06-11-2010, 09:15 PM
I might do those, but we already have larger bodied tetras in the back 300 gallon display with the rainbows... don't want anything too similar :P

tori.lock
06-11-2010, 09:54 PM
If you do a community tank it would be cool to see a male betta in there. Petstores need to show that these guys are great, surprisingly peaceful fish.

I think a school of corries would be lovely. Maybe a catfish tank? Or oddballs. I know I love going to pet shops and seeing all the weird fish out there. A butterfly fish could be awesome.

mac
06-11-2010, 10:09 PM
I really think a set simple theme is best. Say Corys A large large shoal of Tetras, say Bleeding hearts a BN and some odd Dwarf SA Cichlid. That would be me.

Lab_Rat
06-12-2010, 12:20 AM
EBJD, pair of nics, rotkeil sev, salvini, pictus, and rosy barbs... :thumb:

Either that, or do a school of 10 roselines with emperor and penguin tetras.

Or a planted african cichlid tank...it can be done.

wolf_eyes
06-12-2010, 01:04 AM
I would like one or two big schools in the tank to show people how beautiful they can be when they all move in unison.This may also tempt people into buying bigger schools rather than a few of this and that. Probably something like rummynose tetras since they are such good schoolers and then perhaps harlequin rasboras, cardinals, or green fire tetras. A nice big school of cories or burmese border loaches would look really nice for the bottom. Maybe an angelfish, rainbow cichlid, keyhole cichlid, pearl gourami, or ram/apisto for the centerpiece.

Edit: I also like idea of the rosaline, very beautiful fish.

Cermet
06-12-2010, 02:02 AM
If you are willing to keep the tank at 82 F, a school of discus, say seven, would look fantastic in that wonderfuly planted tank (great work!)thumbs2: