PDA

View Full Version : Fry food

Tango
06-11-2010, 07:53 PM
Two of my bettas mated, and I was wondering about feeding the fry. I read I am supposed to wait until they are free swimming to feed them. Is that correct? And I wanted to know if Nutrafin Baby Fish Formula (it's a powder) is adequate for feeding them? It is what the pet store gave me, but I keep reading that they should be fed baby brine shrimp, vinager eels, or a microworm culture first. Is this neccessary? And if yes, then can I get them at a pet store?

Tango
06-11-2010, 09:01 PM
I just had a thought. Am I supposed to feed the male while he is looking after the eggs?

Cliff
06-11-2010, 09:51 PM
I don't know a lot about bettas, but hereís what I did with my Blue Acara fry.

I kept the normal tank feeding schedule. As soon as the fry started swimming around, I removed them to my quarantine tank. I then started feeding them Hikari first bites fish food for fry 3 to 4 times a day, and baby brine shrimp once each day. I have also completed 10 to 20% daily water changes.

If you donít have another tank to move the fry into, you can complete the same feeding within one tank. Just feed the parents first dropping the food in the other end of the tank so you can feed the fry once the parents have moved off. This doesnít work each time, but it did work for me enough to get the fry some food. Iíve only had to do this once when my fry tank was full with older fry that would have ate the younger fry.

The Nutrufin would be OK if the fry eat it, microworms would be best if you can get some.

I hope Iíve helped

Tango
06-11-2010, 09:58 PM
Thank you. That was helpful. They were "conceived" in a tank specifically set up for breeding, so I don't have to worry about moving them. Is it safe to have fry in a tank with a sponge filter?

Cliff
06-11-2010, 10:16 PM
Thank you. That was helpful. They were "conceived" in a tank specifically set up for breeding, so I don't have to worry about moving them. Is it safe to have fry in a tank with a sponge filter?

Yup (IMO), I use a sponge filter and I have not had any problems yet