PDA

View Full Version : Net Pots?

tmartini
05-31-2007, 02:00 PM
Wondering if anyone had any experience with planting in little pots like these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/LIVE-AQUARIUM-FISH-AQUATIC-PLANTS-POTS-A001_W0QQitemZ110127503770QQihZ001QQcategoryZ66794 QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

I've got a 3.5 gallon with a 10W flouresent. It has a UGF, so there was really no point in putting in a real substrate. I'm just using regular aquarium gravel.

I've been able to keep several rhizome plants (Anubias and a couple of kinds of Java Fern) successfully on driftwood (I've had some failures too).

I would like to try to keep a crypt and a nana amazon sword in these little pots filled with aquasoil or ecocomplete. I figure I can hide the pots behind driftwood and camoflauge them a little with moss...

Do you think this will work? Thanks for any advice!

nanaglen2001
05-31-2007, 02:14 PM
I use similar pots for my "swamp" plants, which should grow above the water level but need wet feet. If the gravel isnt too fine and the pot is big enough, its absolutely ok.

Maybe you should take a look at your local garden center, maybe you can get different sizes for maybe less money.

Lady Hobbs
05-31-2007, 02:45 PM
I have used regular small clay pots for 50 cents each. Planted in regular potting soil and smashed down gravel on top. Works well.

tmartini
05-31-2007, 03:03 PM
Super! Thanks Andrea and LadyHobbs!! I expected everybody to tell me what I bad idea that was. I'm exited about trying to grow some stem plants.

I'll let you know how it works out.thumbs2:

nanaglen2001
06-01-2007, 06:43 PM
I was just looking for a POTM pic, and stumbled over THIS

Here you can see a I guess Echinodorus, planted in a similar pot, only bigger.

This plant had submers and emers leafes.

Claypots are a good idea also, but it wont take long and you need a bigger claypot, in those "net pots" the roots have more space, cause they can grow outside the pot.

Once my Sajicas even used such a pot, to place their eggs in, but before that happened, they moved every piece of gravel out of it.

And I also found a pic with a plant in a clay pot.

tmartini
06-05-2007, 04:48 PM
Wow! Thanks Andrea. A picture is worth a thousand words... that's cool!

BTW, those like really nice tanks! The fish in the second pic are something else!