PDA

View Full Version : Any more advice on Severum not growing

Juannie
05-31-2007, 04:55 AM
Well, it's been a wee while and even though my little green severum is eating, he's still not growing - can these things come in in miniature:fish: cause he's sure got me stumped. My gold one is growing really well.

Drumachine09
05-31-2007, 04:56 AM
What are you feeding? My severum has packed on an inch since i got him 2 or so months ago.

Juannie
05-31-2007, 05:58 AM
Their diet is very varied, bloodwork, frozen community food, cichlid & tropical flake, spirulina flake, NLS pellets, shrimp pellets - I mix it up regularly so they've got a lot of variety. I always check to see that he's feeding as he's very shy but he seems to be ok. My gold one is growing really really well so it's rather odd.

GoldLenny
05-31-2007, 02:21 PM
What size tank?

Lady Hobbs
05-31-2007, 02:36 PM
Did you get the runt of the litter? LOL Sometimes fish kind of stay the same for awhile then suddenly have a burst of growth. I've seen it in my silver dollars and in my bala sharks.

Make sure he gets the cichlid or flake 3 times a day and the others as a "treat." Babies eat more often than adults.

Severus
05-31-2007, 02:58 PM
It sounds somewhat normal. My two Severums were the same size when i bought them and one of my guys shot up in growth. Right now my big one is 4" diameter and the little one is probably 3". Give him some time, he might just be a late bloomer! lol

Juannie
06-07-2007, 05:01 AM
Cheers, I'll see how he goes. I'm watching him eat and he's getting plenty, my gold one is 3 times the size within 6 weeks - so perhaps he is just a runt and will stay small.

Severus
06-07-2007, 03:25 PM
He still might have a growth spurt in him. How big is he?

Juannie
06-08-2007, 02:07 AM
He's still small probably only about 5cm at most. My gold one is 3 or 4 times that size already.

puddlekeeper
06-08-2007, 02:47 AM
try feeding them some frozen Mysis Shrimp - it's high in protein.

Just remember to thaw them out in a strainer under warn water or you may notice an oil slick on the surface of the water.

Juannie
06-26-2007, 06:09 AM
Thank you, he's still not growing and now his colour is really really pale - he's not losing weight & is still shrinking, I've noticed that my kribs don't get colourful either (only the parents) whom have amazing colour. Is there any reason why my little severum has lost all his colour? The gold one is very bright & yellow and hangs out with my gold coloured gourami, so I'm very confused. I will definitely try feeding him 3 times daily instead of the two with everyone else, he's got a good appetite tho - perhaps he's a miniature?!?!

Juannie
06-26-2007, 06:10 AM
oops repeated myself.

nanaglen2001
06-26-2007, 06:46 AM
I posted whats wrong with your tank in your thread about your Firemouth.

Just take a look over there.

Supressed fish often dont grow, and dont show off their colors. So they keep out of sight of the agressive guys. Its their way to survive.

Juannie
06-29-2007, 12:03 AM
I posted whats wrong with your tank in your thread about your Firemouth.

Just take a look over there.

Supressed fish often dont grow, and dont show off their colors. So they keep out of sight of the agressive guys. Its their way to survive.

Aha, I'll go check that out, thanks very much. I am transferring them all over to a bigger tank this weekend too so that should help.