PDA

View Full Version : Cichlid Cave

Full3R
04-20-2006, 03:22 AM
For this you will need

*Aquarium Friendly Silicone
*Pipe (PVC is a good choice)
*Gravel or Large Pebles (large pebles are quicker and easier and less time consuming for this)
*silicone Gun

Optional:
*Extra Features Such as plants and other ornaments

Step 1
Boil the pebles/Gravel and Pipe as you would any new item to the aquarium and then let them dry

Step 2
After the Pipe and Pebles have dried start from the top of your pip and lay one stripe of Aquarium Friendly Silicone down the middle of the outside and then begin to lay the pebles one by one on the stripe of silicone do this on the upper side of the pipe and when it is done do the other side the same

Step 3
If you have chosen to use small tank gravel this step does not apply to you
With the large pebles there are unattractive gaps begin filling them in with Silicone and then lay smaller pebles or gravel in the gaps

Step 4
If you wish to decorate the pipe cave with extra stuff such as plastic plants do so by stick the base branch of the plant into a gap of silicone

Doing this cave lets you be creative and make a cave suited to your own tank, plus the fish will love to have a hide away where they might even breed in

NorthernBoy
04-20-2006, 03:28 AM
Do you have a finished picture?

Full3R
04-20-2006, 03:31 AM
im afraid not i have found a picture of someone who used a similar idea i could post if you wish?

NorthernBoy
04-20-2006, 03:34 AM
I can imagine what it would look like but I am very unexperienced using silicone. What is the difficulty level of a really good looking end product?

Full3R
04-20-2006, 03:51 AM
this is in noway difficult as long as theres enough silicone to hold the rocks and extra stuff your fine. this is like an advanced version of kindergarten craft

NorthernBoy
04-20-2006, 03:58 AM
My wife says I am like a advanced kindergartener so this is perfect for me. Oh wait my wife says I have to finish my mac n cheese before craft time. lol

I'll try it.

Full3R
04-20-2006, 04:11 AM
lol let me know how it works out

Full3R
04-20-2006, 07:23 AM
I will make pictures of each step if u like but it will only be on a very small peace of pipe

Full3R
04-20-2006, 05:48 PM
You can also use pipes that have multiple entrances with this if u wish for a better look, pipes with bends also look good

mekasia
05-25-2006, 05:21 AM
I have done something similar to this. Basically, what I did was spread silicone all over the pipe, then roll it in sand that matched the substrate in my tank. I cut off a few pieces of 1" PVC, st that they were about an inch long, with one end cut at an angle. I sanded these the same way, then glued them onto my main cave. I put the bases of live plants in these shorter sections, and then built up a small hill in my tank. When I sat the cave on the hill, with one end buried, it made what appeared to be a burrow in the sand. The fish LOVED it!

crackatinny
11-13-2006, 09:24 AM
Here is a link to the instructions with pics,
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_caves.php