PDA

View Full Version : Depressed Betta

Time-Out
06-10-2010, 09:29 AM
One of my male bettas passed away last night, due to what I believe was depression. It was his second attempt at fatherhood. The first time he ate all the babies when they hatched, so this time around I think he was determined to do a good job, and he did! There seemed to be millions of them zooming around and he'd chase them, catch the and send them back to bed. When I could no longer see any egg sack, I picked him out and plonked him in another tank. He swam around looking a little confused, then just sulked to the bottom. My heart went out to the little guy, who done his best, got robbed of his offsping and died two days later. Bless his little soul.

chrisfraser05
06-10-2010, 10:15 AM
:( poor wee fella

gm72
06-10-2010, 10:45 AM
I'm actually thinking he probably died due to a difference in water chemistry between the tanks but sorry for the loss regardless.

Time-Out
06-10-2010, 11:42 AM
The water chemistry is identical. I always use water out the big tank when I change the betta tanks. It ensures continuity and quality (and temperature and I don't have to condition it...)

ayra321
06-10-2010, 03:18 PM
so sorry for your loss :(

Tigerfishy
06-10-2010, 09:41 PM
Sorry to hear this. He tried his best, but couldn't hold on :(

Lady Hobbs
06-10-2010, 10:10 PM
We love our fish and think they love us back just as much. They do not have the brain to show or feel emotion, however. The know food and mating and that's about it.

Sarkazmo
06-10-2010, 11:33 PM
Sorry for your loss. I would suggest allowing fathers to raise the fry.

We love our fish and think they love us back just as much. They do not have the brain to show or feel emotion, however. The know food and mating and that's about it.

Some fish have shown intelligence levels equaling cats and dogs in studies. Anyone that's owned Betta, Oscars, other Cichlids can tell that there's something different about them. That there's something going on up stairs that's not present in other fishes.

Sark

Lady Hobbs
06-10-2010, 11:43 PM
Some are definately more social. No doubt about it. My parrots are the same way as well as my angels but I doubt they love me. LOL They love the food they get from me.